Are Apple laptops still banned on planes?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shadow, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

The title says it all really. I ask because I'm going to Amsterdam in about a week and I wanna take my MacBook so I dont get bored :D. This has probably been asked to death, but oh well.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

??

Since when are Apple laptops banned on planes?

That leads me to believe it was OK for non-apple laptops?

3. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Er... Lenovos also used sony batteries.. and untold other 3rd party-lesser known laptops too I bet. Were they banned as well?

5. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

Just Dell and Apple I think. Dell had exploding ones, and a massive recall. Apple wasnt so bad-no exploders, but the 2nd largest battery recall ever (after Dell :p).

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

What airline are you flying? I thought it was only Virgin Atlantic, Quantas, and Korean Air that banned them (Apple and Dell only), but I don't know if they've lifted the ban.

Edit: Here is Virgin Atlantic's current policy.

7. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

From what I've read about this notebooks weren't banned from airplanes they just wouldn't allow you to use them during the flight because all of the fires happened when they were on battery power or plugged in to recharge.

You should be okay but I definitely recommend you check your airline's website .

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Lenovo and Toshiba have also recalled their batteries.

It's dumb if those aren't banned as well.

And anyway, your MB isn't part of the recall, only the PB and G4iBook were. Of course, if you take it and argue with them and they're stubborn (which they probably are) what will you do?

9. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

Open it up and see the look on their face when they see "MacBook" in big grey text under the screen :p!

EDIT: WildCowboy, I think I'm flying with Fly2 (cos its cheap :p), I'm off to check the website.

EDIT2: Sorry, its Jet2, Fly2 is waaay too expensive for us (its a charter private jet buisness)! I'm looking on their site, but its so pathetic its difficult to find anything between all the ads.

10. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Na Na! Change the startup screen to a 'Dell' roasting on an open fire (Xmas scene?) :D

11. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

Lmao! Dells are so bad they dont even deserve to be burnt. Its just not worth the effort (not to mention the consumed souls inside :p)!

12. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Sony needs to stay the **** out of batterys and DRM and everything else
    and need to do the only thing they do well that is make displays

i havent heard of any sonys catching on fire

no i dont want a sony laptop or desktop with drm built in

no i dont want a sony dvd player that i cant play my burned dvd's on

no i dont want a sony home reciever thats cheaply made and underpowered and overated

the blu ray and their displays are the only things that are appealing and bluray is agood design too bad sony is going to put a choke hold on what you can do with it

13. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

They arnt that bad. All Sony stuff I have had has been good. Still no luck with Jet2's website, its utterly terrible and I have to go.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Give them a call and ask or shoot them an e-mail...I'd imagine you'll be fine, especially since you have a MacBook.

15. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

They were never banned in the UK so yes you can take it. The baggage restrictions now says that you can take a laptop bag aswell.

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Ya, just like everyone else said, only a few airlines banned them. I take my Toshiba and Compaq laptops (Windows 3.1 and 98 respectivley) on Southwest Airlines all the time. Of course, that said, These laptops use differnt kinds of batteries.

It's kind of funny actually. Security Gaurds at the airport look at the laptops before handing them back to the owner. They take one look at the 2 inch thick Toshiba, look at me funny, then hand it back. It's kind of fun to throw people off with a 15 year old laptop.:D

17. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Windows 3.1 and 98 - Very funny Cassie.

2 Inch thick laptops, they still work? What do you do with these items, besides carry them thru Airport security? Is it fun to make tcpip try to work under 3.1 and use Netscape .9.01 beta?? Tell me what's the net look like??

Here's a joke from a PC Mag. article from 1992 for your Tos. Win. 3.1 brick when Airport Security demands that you turn it on to prove it works.

You must know the startup screen for Win. 3.1 in MS-DOS (autoexec.bat)

echo 'Arming Bomb'
    echo 'Activating Bomb'
    echo' Detonation 30 minutes After Take-Off'

18. bemylover macrumors regular

I always travel with my iBook, last time a month ago. Nobody ever said anything.

At least BA, AA, KLM/Northwest are ok with it for sure.

19. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Nah... too much just get a countdown widget and when they make you open the computer and turn it on hit F12 quickly... so all you have displaying is the countdown. better yet get one thats in binary/klingon/predator etc.

20. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

We flied recently on Continental and our 12" PB G4 (one of the affected models) was fine.

I never even knew they were being banned. :eek:

21. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm glad the TSA never band laptops/electronical devices on contenental flights because I'm heading to Florida the 21st.

I didn't want to start a new thread and be flamed, so I thought I might as well ask here. What do I need to do at screening with my laptop/cell phone/iPod/DS? Can I leave my iBook sleeping and my phone on? Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sure...go ahead and leave everything on. It'll all go through the x-ray machine. It used be that they'd make you turn your computer on after going through the x-ray machine if it was off in order to prove that it was a functional computer, but they don't do that anymore.

23. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

that would be pretty funny

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Nah, only the Toshiba is 2 inches thick. I mostly do old skool DOS gaming on it, and some word processing.

I just type in "win" on the C:\ prompt, and it boots into 3.1. But I don't know that much about DOS. :)

I did try to use the internet on it once. Only displayed text pages.It ONLY shows text. Plus, with 8 mb of RAM, you couldn't do much if it showed HTML or flash anyway.

Oh yeah, talk about loading times:D

That's why I bought the compaq. cheap ($45) had a decent battery life. I'm actually using it to type this right now.

25. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

Well I got back earlier today. Amsterdam is a lovley place. There were no problems with taking my MacBook, and I even managed to (the horror!) ¨sneek¨ (cough cough) a bottle of water through AirPort Security Schiphol! That can't be good! Thanks for all the replies guys and gals!