Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
If you're going to empathise with everything, you're pretty much boned. In a way, everything you eat could have an affect on someone/thing. You stole that carrot from whatever insects might have wanted it, you stole that tin of food from a poor impoverished third world child who could have had it shipped to him. Even a fruitarian is inconveniencing the animals that have been waiting all year for the fruit to fall. Bastard!

The only friendly thing you could do would be to kill yourself in a forest to give the animals a nice meal. Naked, of course, you wouldn't want to choke them.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Silly girl. We're all talking about animals but what about the plants' rights? Plants have feelings too.

I've therefore decided I will not eat.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Hmm... kind of absurd by now. I think that only household pets and homo sapiens and primates exhibit emotions. That doesn't include most of the zoo critters.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
so will the bees rise up against us like the machines will in a couple centuries? hmm, death by machines or death by bees? i think that's the real dilemma.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
This was the silliest damn thing I've seen here in ages. Thanks for the entertainment.:D

Oh, you think exploiting insects is funny?:rolleyes:

Next we'll be grinding up beetles for food colouring...:mad:

Oh wait...:D

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
The girl should also stop using:

Perfume, made from whale blubber
Cosmetics, made from worms and tested on animals
Silk products, those poor exploited silk worms!
Medicine, again tested on animals
Clothing, most produced by exploiting animal labour

She'll be one sick, homely, smelly and naked girl. :)

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
Anybody see that episode of CSI: NY where some dimwit had a huge cockroach covered in semi-precious stones like rubies and emeralds and had it on a gold chain? There's exploitation for you!

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT

I like the last quality but not so sure on the rest. :D

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp

I suppose if you can't fix everything at once, you'd better not try to do anything. I totally agree. Because I know I'll never stop the slaughter in Darfur, I club seals. Totally makes sense, ya know?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Hmm... kind of absurd by now. I think that only household pets and homo sapiens and primates exhibit emotions. That doesn't include most of the zoo critters.

And how do you define household pets? Can my pet tarantula display emotion? And what about the zoo's tarantula in comparison?

And since you are saying pets, when a culture is raising livestock out of an animal that has been domesitcated in another society, are you going to judge the livestock on your pet or zoo standards?

Oh! And speaking of plants, do they not respond to their owners? Can they not display what could be considered "emotion"?

:confused:
Can you explain more, I'm not being snarky, I just have images of chimps making jeans.

I think you could reasonably say that most natural fabrics are produced using traditional farming methods - utilizing animal labor. Add in the insects that suffer as they cannot consume sufficient nutrients as natural or chemical pesticides/pesticidal methods/pest removal actions are applied. And I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who is wearing only synthetic fabrics (but then don't forget harm to the environment - which means harm to other animals).

livingfortoday said:
I suppose if you can't fix everything at once, you'd better not try to do anything. I totally agree. Because I know I'll never stop the slaughter in Darfur, I club seals. Totally makes sense, ya know?

Who said anything about fixing - that post was just suggesting that she simply stop using. Also, all of the suggestions are based on related ideas - what to Darfur and seals have to do with each other?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I think you could reasonably say that most natural fabrics are produced using traditional farming methods - utilizing animal labor. Add in the insects that suffer as they cannot consume sufficient nutrients as natural or chemical pesticides/pesticidal methods/pest removal actions are applied. And I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who is wearing only synthetic fabrics (but then don't forget harm to the environment - which means harm to other animals).

Of course!:rolleyes:

Man can I be thick at times!!:eek: :eek:

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I suppose if you can't fix everything at once
Well, I think that's where your argument falls apart. There's nothing to fix. We "exploit" animals for our benefit in the same way a crocodile "exploits" a gazelle for their benefit.

You're using Darfur as an example? Wow, that's one step short of going "nazis" in your argument.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I'll pop in this again.

Taking up a vegetarian/vegan diet isn't an absolutist agenda (although of different degress). The aim isn't to never kill or exploit and animal. The aim is to as far as possible significantly reduce X effect(s) on animals due to exploiting them for personal gain. For some people this means not eating honey.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
There's nothing to fix. We "exploit" animals for our benefit in the same way a crocodile "exploits" a gazelle for their benefit.

I'm not going to argue with you about this, because while it may not be possible for me to ignore the moral issues at hand, you have somehow managed to convince yourself that this:

foto36-1.jpg

Is the same as this:

lion_eating_zebra.jpg

So, you know, good for you. As for me, I'll keep trying to minimize the damage I do to other living things, and hope that maybe you will someday too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.