Are CNET reviewers biased?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sedulous, May 8, 2003.

1. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I can't help but to wonder if CNET reviewers are biased against Mac stuff... or maybe simply don't understand them?

For example:

-They list the Princeton SENergy 981 LCD screen as "editor's choice" but user approval is 49%
    The 20" Apple Cinema Display gets no "editor choice" yet it has 95% user approval.

-CNET raves about the Dell Insiprion 5800 yet it has poor ratings (51%) and one has to chuckle as the Dell ads flash on the sides as you read the people ripping the notebook as a hunk of junk.
    The 17" Powerbook only gets a "Recommended with Reservations" review. However, the 17" has better specs than the Dell in every way. The only negative comment the reviewer has is "it isn't much faster than the other Powerbook".

It goes on and on. Is CNET even worth reading or is it just Compaq/Dell propaganda?

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i think C|Net is definitely predisposed to windows-based solutions, but they are usually fairly friendly with mac stuff. you have to admit that reading a mac magazine is just about as useful; it's just biased in the other direction, and probably a lot more so.

everything you read will be biased. you need to take it with a grain of salt, so to speak. analyze their arguments. if they are unsupported, or poorly supported, you know how good they are as a source.

3. Sedulous thread starter macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Well, maybe CNET is a fan of the iPod... but it would be pretty tough for them to dismiss it.

One has to wonder if they need to have a seperate "Mac coolness scale/factor".

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

well its like saying are Macrumors viewers biased towards the mac, hell yeah I am :)

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Most definitely. I loved cNet Reviews 3 or 4 years ago, but they
    have slowly gone down-hill. Now they are just stupid, and if you
    base a purchase upon them, you are in for a dissapointment. :(

6. Sedulous thread starter macrumors 68000

Sedulous

So is it better to [when reading CNET reviews] use user opinion than the actual reviewer's review? With so many products, it is hard to go through one at a time. Maybe CNET should have a way to list products based on user opinion as well.

7. Datazoid macrumors regular

"Are CNET Reviewers biased?" Do bears s*** in the woods? Oh, and the user opinions are no better, most of the negatives (especially on macs) have never even TOUCHED the product. To be fair, most of the positives too. CNET is ok for a brief overview of a product and its features, but both their user comments and reviews are filled with bias and incorrect information and are not to be trusted.

8. Sedulous thread starter macrumors 68000

Sedulous

you have to admit that reading a mac magazine is just about as useful; it's just biased in the other direction, and probably a lot more so

Yeah, but that is a Mac magazine... cnet makes no claims as being a Wintel organization. To me it is unfortunate that their reviewers appear to be biased. To me it is strange that CNET put the 17" Powerbook under "Desktop Replacements", then says it is difficult to carry... but the 9 lb Dell is a joy.

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I only use cNet for consumer electronics info anymore. It's really gone downhill in the past year.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

I feel like they aren't that biased at all. Sure, their interface and layout may have gone from bad to worse in the past three years, but their reviews aren't that bad.

As for the editors choice vs. user ratings, it's about recognition. CNet has put Editors Choice checkmarks near Apple products from time to time, but the basis of almost all reviewing corporations is PC Pro. Some are Mac Pro and will lean towards Macs, but that's just the way the company is reflected.

CNet may be biased in terms of 100% fair ratings, but they are minimally biased in terms of their application of ratings to the same types of computers typing these reports in contrast to other corporations with nearly equal circumstances.

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

man, some of you are acting like you're somewhat off your rockers. why would you use a phrase like "do bears **** in the woods?" to get this point across. your cases aren't nearly solid enough to say that, and saying redundant, rather off-color things like that, i'm sorry to say, do nothing to help your case. everyone is a little biased. perhaps they have gone downhill as their need for money to support the maintenance of their site has outweighed some of their previous journalisti integrity. that doesn't make them useless, and it also doesn't mean that they weren't biased before. C|Net is still a fine source of information. it's one review among many. you should never base a purchase on a single review, no matter where it comes from. this is not sage advice. this is basic buying knowledge.