Are cords interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by decksnap, Sep 24, 2006.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

My ACD and my Powermac G5 appear to have the same exact cord. Are these interchangeable?

I ask because one has a 7 on it and the other has a 4, so while they look the same, maybe they aren't?

I am still grappling with my random shutdown issue, and I wondered if I could switch the cords to see if it's faulty.

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't have either here at the moment so I don't know what they look like but if they look like kettle leads (the cables that attatch to most water kettles) then they should be interchangeable without any problems.

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

does it look like the normal power cord?
    like this:
    [​IMG]

4. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

No- these are the newer white ones... I can't find a picture..

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Is it like this?

Attached Files:

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They are different part numbers.

There should be markings printed on the cables (white on off-white, so they can be hard to read). If the AWG numbers are the same, it should be safe enough to interchange the cords.

7. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

no... I am realizing maybe these are different across the pond? I am in the states... It is similar to that but the flat part is square.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

VERY untrue. What if the cords have different specs? could ruin you're equipment in minutes, if seconds...

10. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

If they aren't the same thing, it seems a bit sketchy that they would give you two cords that appear the same but aren't. Anyway, they do have different numbers on them. I guess I'll leave them alone for now. Thanks guys!

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If the ends look similar to the ones above apart from colour then they should be interchangeable. Its only a lead with a fuse in the plug rated for whatever its being used. They'll probably have the same rating fuses anyway.

Going back to your original issue, when your computer randomly shuts down does it actually shut down or does it just suddenly turn off? If its a full shut down then it won't be the plugs. If it does suddenly turn off then do you hear any shorting noises? These kind of plugs always make kind of popping noises if they're buggering up.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Not so we're talking computer equipment here the cable rating for mains leads is way above any possible current draw (unless your trying to run a Cray with a Mini's cord).

13. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

When I say randomly shuts down, I mean, it just goes off. Completely and instantly.

Console shows "ApplePMU::pMU FORCED SHUTDOWN, CAUSE = -122"

In my research, this has been traced to any number of things. Wall plug, power strip, cord, battery, PMU, logic board, even bad RAM. I am trying with the smallest stuff first and working my way up.

14. Origin macrumors regular

Origin

In europe, theses two power cords are interchangeable without ANY PROBLEM. You can even put in others that we can find in the PC world, theses are "standard" power cables with a bit of specific design and color, but the specs are strictly identical