Are CRT monitors compatable with G5 powermacs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Huntertitus, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Huntertitus macrumors newbie

I have a G5 powermac with a 6800 graphics card - the one that comes with 2 DVI outputs and not an ADC one - I bought 2 apple monitors on ebay - the ones that are transparent (Apple Studio Display Model M7768) but even though I have the DVI to ADC adapter which plugs into the mains, I get no picture on the screen at all. I can switch the computer on and off and to standby using the on off button on the display but the screen remains black. I don't think the computer is at fault because I tried a friends flat screen with it and it worked fine. I need to know if I am the unluckiest ebayer who has been ripped off TWICE by different people selling the identical display or are they just not compatable with the G5 with the best video card. Can anyone out there give me advice - especially anyone who has used this combination? :confused:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think you are a little confused. CRT = Cathode Ray Tube. These sort of displays did not have ADC connectors on them as ADC is for digital (i.e. flat pannel) displays only.

3. Huntertitus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply but although I am confused I know for a fact the CRT screen I have definitely does have the ADC plug - the same as the older flat panel screens - do you know about compatability?

4. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Do you know anyone else with a Mac who would let you connect the monitors up to their machines to try them out?

That would be my first advice. Find someone with an iBook or AlBook to let you try this out.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

My mistake! I have checked the specs and am amazed! I think the problem you are having is that the DVI->ADC connector will only connect the DVD-D pins to the digital ADC pins. You need to get something that will connect the analogue pins (the + shapped bit on the DVI connector) to the analogue pins on ADC (if it has them) or even worse the really expensive VGA (DSUB) -> ADC or DVI convertors.

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

The Apple CRT Studipo displays with clear backs were NOT ADC. They were VGA. Your G5 came with a DVI->Vga convertor cable. You plug that into one of the DVI ports on your G5 and then the monitor's cable into that. Simple as pie...

I used the very same Apple Studio monitor for a while.

7. brap macrumors 68000

There was discussion about this before...
    The clear CRT (Shipped around the time of the G4 Cubes) was analogue ADC. So, it was a VGA connection with a power line bolted on, all in an ADC package.
    Therefore it will not work with a standard [digital] ADC connection on the back of your Powermac. I was considering picking one of these displays up and having a poke, but never got around to it; essentially all you need is a VGA (DSUB connector) - ADC plug, with the relevant pins matched to the ones in the monitor's ADC, and a power line. IIRC, nobody makes such an item.

edit: There were two types, SpaceMagic. The one you used probably was VGA (Shipped with B&W G3s), but the 17" diamondtron CRT definitely did use the Analogue ADC conneciton.

8. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

OK my bad! Sorry...

Um... University of Kent? That nice? YOu going to regent street too?

9. brap macrumors 68000

Is cool :)
    Kent is alright. I'm just not a studious type right now :eek: We're trying to see when we can get to Regent Street, prolly won't be until about 8am. No lucky bags for us!

10. neut macrumors 68000

neut

i had one of those monitors. they're nice, but the analog ADC is very limiting. i sold it with the PMdualG4 tower. it worked with an aftermarket Radeon ADC card. i don't think it will work with a DVI-D card.

looks like you'll be looking for a new video card with ADC.

i've still got my origianl AGP Radeon if you want to pay for shipping... though a faster card would be a better choice for dual displays.

peace.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I have one of those monitors, it's only good with ADC video cards.

On YOUR G5, they won't work with the ADC CRTs. Needs the lower end cards.

However, if you want the same quality picture. The Mitsubishi Diamondtron-based CRTs should work just as well and come with a VGA plug and larger screens.

Just play with the monitor to make sure it has a complete suite of controls on the front panel to tweak the picture -- any of them with SW controls tend not to work in alternate OS's.

Note: even with an ADC video card, you'll only be able to use a single ADC CRT. Since the DVI-to-ADC adapters won't work.

12. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Are you saying the ADC CRT won't work with the 9800? I know that monitor works with the FX5200 and the 9600 Pro, because I owned that monitor and used it with my G5 and those video cards.

(aside) I'm sort of surprised how emphatically certain some here were about their ill informed statements.

Huntertitus, I'd recommend an IBM P260 or P275 for your second CRT. They have switchable DVI-D and VGA inputs plus they give nice, high refresh rates. The technology in them is superior to the CRT Apple Studio Displays. For example, 1600x1200 on the Apple ADC CRT runs at 75Hz, whereas on the IBM P260 it's 90Hz. Besides, it's a 4" larger (diagonally) screen and very pleasant. Look up P275 and P260 in eBay, or azatek.com, or accurateit.com.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

He said he had a 6800 and was trying to get the TWO ADC CRTs to work, on the G5 they WON'T work. But they won't work at all with those video cards.

They only work with the ADC cards, and only one can work at a time, because they don't work with DVI ports.

If he wan't two of those tubes working on his G5, he'll have to buy 2 Diamondtron CRT monitors -- that's the tube inside the ADC CRT.

Try plugging the ADC CRT you have into your DVI port and see if we're still ill informed.

And remember, he has two DVI ports on the card he has, NO ADC on his G5.

EDIT: I went back and changed 1 word, now you should be happy.

14. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I understood that. All I was asking for was a tiny clarification. I didn't mean to set you off.

Yup. There was no confusion on my end about that.

There's no need to get defensive. I was referring to robbieduncan and SpaceMagic's assertions, not yours. I give them credit for recognizing their error.

Oh great, thanks (whatever that change was). When you said "lower end cards" I wasn't sure if you meant to include the 9800 in that reference. It's clear now that you meant "cards lower than the 6800," and of course, "any card with ADC on it."

I just never heard/read the 9800 referred to as a lower end card, that's all. Of course you were speaking relatively and it's now clear to me. Thank you for your concise clarification.