Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Hi guys ive just found out that my new i mac wont be coming for another week somthing about memroy problems This dosnt bother me one bit to be honest it gives me an extra week to work out were i put this beige box .. Whats now got my atteniton is dealler prices i happend to walk into my local dealer get a fresh new quote and it came up several hundered dollars cheaper and thats with the extra memroy chip and an external matrox 120gig hd it kind of pisses me off a bit but hell i can deal with lifes little f ups ...

So dose anyone know why my dealer is cheaper

the specs are

17inch wide screen i mac
1ghz g4
1ghz ddram hope got that right
80gig hd
external 120gig matrox hd
supper drive
pro speakers I know there standard features
mouse
keyboard
ilife series
os x jag 10.2

all of this iam getting except the external hard drive as i am buying that from the dealer lovely little extra that will come in very very handy

I am just finding it strange that the dealer is cheaper than the online store...

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
sorry guys its 4'000 australian dollars because of extras but online it costs 4,600

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
prices of the systems are pretty standard. apple holds a tight control on these and people tend to stick to the RRP's.

why is it cheaper? because apple DOES inflate the accessories, peripherals and upgrades. only an idiot would buy ram from apple. sorry. no offense. and i have no doubt the external drive is just cheaper because apple marks it up too.

that said i like buying from the apple store. i don't like real people. be careful of dealers in australia. there are some dodgy one's. namely NextByte

wish i was getting a new imac :rolleyes:

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
just thought of something that at least goes on here in Japan.

electronics stores that carry apple computers don't acknowledge the release of new models and hardware. despite being able to order direct from apple and from the major apple players. it's dodgy when they say "no there is no 1GHz iMac, only 800MHz. Full Price Please"

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
that sounds bizarre. how could stores afford to not bring new models? and how could they survive selling old models at new model prices?

that's just weird, i've never heard of anything like that before.:eek: :eek:

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Ok so japan is a bit weird thats them in gernal prices are over the top the products are over the top and there over the top but they do know how to cram a lot in a small space same as apple seem to do as well..

but back to the dealers bit why is it so .. why dose the dealer seem cheaper is this not somthing apple should look into or iam i missing a big bit of the apple puzzel..

Sabenth

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by Sabenth
Ok so japan is a bit weird thats them in gernal prices are over the top the products are over the top and there over the top but they do know how to cram a lot in a small space same as apple seem to do as well..

but back to the dealers bit why is it so .. why dose the dealer seem cheaper is this not somthing apple should look into or iam i missing a big bit of the apple puzzel..

Sabenth

yeah... has apple always done it? charged 20% over market value for ram, etc... ? it is odd.. but i guess people buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.