Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think?

• People really utilize and need all the features SLR's bring

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • They are the 'cool' to own right now / status thing

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I'm "in the market" for a dSLR so-to-speak. And it's not to be cool. In fact, I prefer going around campus shooting with my point and shoot as opposed to my Canon SLR. Which, yes, when I do take it out has a telephoto zoom on it and that freaks people out. The most awkward elevator rides ever. I think among people who aren't photography enthusiasts dSLRs are simply for professionals. Why can they not see that they can be used by hobbyists as well? I know people with telescopes and I don't think they're astronomers, I know people with guitars and I don't consider them rock stars.

Yes it is true, people of America, I Eric Busch enjoy photography. I am not a professional photographer and close to never get payed for my photographs. Yet, I do it anyway. Sincerely,
-Mac Rumors Digital Photography Forum

I hope, dear buschmaster, that you were just making a very good and valid point, and did not feel like anyone here was putting none "Pro" photographers down for having "Pro" gear.

SLR Film cameras are not uncommon, or used to not be, and definitely none pros has them.

It's probably kind of like learning to fly. Y'all learn in the Cessena-150, and some of you want to get jobs in it, go traveling, se the world. Then there is that jerk off who doesn't plan on doing anything but dinking around the neibghourhood, but goes out and buys a 3/4 million LanceAir. The difference is you probably aren't going to get killed by your DSLR :rolleyes:
Arrest because of it? That is quite possible.

I did a single wedding this summer as a backup photographer. My first (and possibly last) experience, but it was wonderful. What was so wonderful? People EXPECTED you to be there, be in their faces (so to speak) and taking their pictures. They just smiled away and were very good at pretending like you weren't there, even though I was obviously there. Quite different from covering campus news :cool:

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I hope, dear buschmaster, that you were just making a very good and valid point, and did not feel like anyone here was putting none "Pro" photographers down for having "Pro" gear.
Of course no one here is that way! But I do notice it outside these walls
SLR Film cameras are not uncommon, or used to not be, and definitely none pros has them.

It's probably kind of like learning to fly. Y'all learn in the Cessena-150, and some of you want to get jobs in it, go traveling, se the world. Then there is that jerk off who doesn't plan on doing anything but dinking around the neibghourhood, but goes out and buys a 3/4 million LanceAir. The difference is you probably aren't going to get killed by your DSLR :rolleyes:

I did a single wedding this summer as a backup photographer. My first (and possibly last) experience, but it was wonderful. What was so wonderful? People EXPECTED you to be there, be in their faces (so to speak) and taking their pictures. They just smiled away and were very good at pretending like you weren't there, even though I was obviously there. Quite different from covering campus news :cool:
That wedding experience sounds like a lot of fun. People rarely smile for my camera, it's typically a "no pictures" thing from everyone, but at a wedding everyone is so happy and they're all celebrating and there is a lot of action to be shot. I wouldn't mind doing a reception for a wedding as a back-up. That could be a lot of fun.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
That wedding experience sounds like a lot of fun. People rarely smile for my camera, it's typically a "no pictures" thing from everyone, but at a wedding everyone is so happy and they're all celebrating and there is a lot of action to be shot. I wouldn't mind doing a reception for a wedding as a back-up. That could be a lot of fun.

I did it for a College friend who had little money. It was a fairly small wedding, and the main photographer was the bride's Dad. There was also another family friend on with a 20D, and between the 3 of us we covered everything.
It was a great experience, kind of like portrait shooting meets action/sports photography. However, do go into it knowing your role, and what is expected of you, and seriously ask yourself if you can do it. Otherwise, it was quite the trip :)

~Tyler

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Where ever I go with my 70-200 2.8L, people move away from my field of view. It is an invaluable tool when taking pictures in zoo!

And yes having a big telephoto will attact attention and I am fine with it. So far, it has only given me great things: girls who want to model, front row access to fashion shows, etc...

I am sorry to say but if you arent taking advantages of all the attention you get, you are missing on great things!

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006

I was reading a photography magazine actually in dentist office (Irony) anyways, I saw a artical on war on photographers. it talked about all the photographers who were arrested bullied and striped of equipment because the were photographing bridges and gov. buildings, even though they were clearly not doing surveillance and just more artsy photographs like stuff.

Personally im kinda scared to bring my camera to a big city in fear of police and stuff

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
dSLR's are a bit too pricey for me considering the lenses :eek: I'd need to be satisfied... I won't even spend that much on a tv! However, I expect that within a decade the line between p+s digital cameras and dSLR's will be so blurred that the only clear thing will be everybody's pictures!

(satisfied owner of a Panasonic Lumix fz50)

edit: i do think dslr's are cool, but it isn't going to make an uncool photographer any closer to cool.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
dSLR's are a bit too pricey for me considering the lenses :eek: I'd need to be satisfied... I won't even spend that much on a tv! However, I expect that within a decade the line between p+s digital cameras and dSLR's will be so blurred that the only clear thing will be everybody's pictures!

(satisfied owner of a Panasonic Lumix fz50)

edit: i do think dslr's are cool, but it isn't going to make an uncool photographer any closer to cool.

I don't think the lines will blur that much, they certainly haven't blurred in the past couple years. P&S still have shutter lag, something that in a lot of cameras could be decreased a lot, especially in semi-DSLRs. But the thing is there has to be a distinguishing difference. Yes, there are some really incredible technologies for focusing and other variables that determine the "lag" in todays DSLR/SLRs, but really, what do you think is actually holding back P&S cameras? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.