Are Dual Core rumors enough to wait for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sswany, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. sswany macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    #1
    I've been reading these forums for the last week or so and wanted to ask an opinion. Right now I have a recent IBM that I'm selling to purchase a Powerbook (should have done it in the first place but was scared about engineering/education software incompatilibities). Once I sell the IBM (hopefullin the next week) I'll be in the market to purchase a Powerbook.

    I want the 15" but I keep reading about these Dual Core rumors. Will the Dual Core G4's go into the 12 - 17" Powerbooks or maybe just the 17" because of size and cooling?

    My main dilemma is that the 1.67GHz Powerbook is only $1899 through my school instead of $2299 through the Apple Store or the $2099 it is through normal education discounts. I'm wondering if the Dual Cores will be maybe the same price and worth the wait, or if maybe when they release the one I want will drop further. I do occasional Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator work and will probably end up using SolidWorks through VirtualPC a few times out of neccessity so the extra power would be nice, but I've used the 15" now and they're MUCH faster than I expected after reading all the Pentium-M vs. G4 debates.

    I think I'm leaning towards just buying the 1.67 when I sell the IBM and just dealing with it, but I'd hate to have thought that I could have purchased maybe the last interm update before the Intel Powerbook (not concerned with waiting for that one).

    Thanks for the help and the opinions.
     
  2. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

    chucknorris

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2005
    Location:
    Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
    #2
    If I was in the market for a pbook right now, I wouldn't even think about buying until they get an update. The line is ripe for a speed bump (the processors are there), and most of all a price drop. You could very well save 2 or 3 hundred dollars by waiting for the update, whether it's something dual-core or not.

    The way the iBook line shifted down price-wise, left very obvious (to me) room for the PowerBooks to do the same. Using the iBook as an example: one would have paid $300 more for a computer with similar features BTO and an inferior gpu had they purchased before the recent update.

    That's incentive enough to hold out!

    I would say wait as long as you can, and expect an update in the near future (at least before September's over).
     
  3. Project macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2005
    #3
    Yeah wait until the Expo - its only a month and definitely worth holding out for.
     
  4. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #4
    Yes I agree with Project - wait a month if you can then buy.
     
  5. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #5
    but the question is --- what's your time worth? 30 days for $300 off? That averages to $10/day or $1.40/hr. that's quite a low view of your personal value.

    Money you can always make back, but not your time.
     
  6. ouphe macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #6
    Then again, how much of your time will you save using a superior machine? I'd wait.

    -Colin
     
  7. 46and2 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2005
    #7
    Personally, I don't see the PBs going dual core until they switch to Intel (i.e. Yonah). That said, we are so close to Paris, you might as well wait and see.
     
  8. sswany thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    #8
    If these supposed Dual Cores come out, if they hit the same price point that I'm looking at I'd buy that for sure, but that would suck if I waited until Paris to buy and they didn't release.

    Whoever invented the way technology gets released and outdates itself almost instantly is a genious.
     
  9. ouphe macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #9
    Even if the dual cores come out and they are out of your price range, you will still see a significant price reduction for the non-dual-core PBs, so you will save some of your money to put toward an extra monitor for it, or other accessories. Or, you know, buy groceries (or maybe that's just the college student reaction to extra money...).
    In any case, I think you should wait, but regardless of when you end up buying, I know you will love your PB. Many of my friends have them, and they would give away their children before their beloved PBs.

    -Colin
     
  10. 4God macrumors 68020

    4God

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2005
    Location:
    My Mac
  11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #11
    Allways buy after the shows not before. Dual Core's maybe,maybe not. G5s are what 2.3 without water coolers on them at the moment? 3.0 G5s are 2 years overdue? I would have to lean we wont see any dual core's and maybe the 3.0 G5 with a small radiator. Paper is easy just ask Motorola, mass production is another. IBM's history with chips for Apple has sucked and with Apple's announcement of Intel i dont think its going to improve the situation. Still the shows are when they make a lot of changes.
     

Share This Page