Are features like this available somewhere in Pages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swindmill, Aug 31, 2005.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I really like to use Pages when I can as opposed to Word, but a few lacking features are keeping me from using it to take notes in class on a daily basis.

I have to type extremely fast in order to get all the relevant info down that I need, and as a result, the autocorrect feature in Word's dictionary is almost a must have. Is this available in the OS X dictionary?
    Also, I use numbered outline format in Word, and have the tab key set to indent. Is there a way to set the tab key to do an outline indent in Pages? It's sort of a pain to have to mouse to the inspector and click indent in Pages.

Well, those are the most important issues. If I can tackle those, I might worry about some smaller problems later.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Spell checking as you type is the default in Pages. As for the other stuff, the app is template-based. This should allow you to handle your formatting issues with aplumb.

3. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I'm sorry I'm a little confused. Does spell-checking as you type amount to auto-correct? Auto-correct in Word will fix the spelling of a word automatically if you mis-spell it. You can also select mis-spellings that it doesn't already know and "teach" it to Word so that it will automatically fix it next time.

As far as tab indent while using an outline format, I'll have to play around with to figure it out I guess. I just know it doesn't work when you select a numbered list and hit tab.

Any other tips are appreciated.

4. besler3035 macrumors 6502

No auto-correct, just the little red line under misspelled words.

5. erickg macrumors 6502

If you have Office already (and it seems like you do) then I'd say that's a far superior option for note taking. I use the note taking template all the time in Word and record the lectures at the same time in the document. It works really great (especially considering the microphone on my ibook is turned toward me and not the lecturer). Pages doesn't touch Office in this area imo. I'd actually prefer TextEdit over Pages for taking notes, just because of the quicker response time.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Bah. Word makes people so lazy, learn how to spell after you make a mistake!~ Lol. ;)