Are flag-draped coffins "too much" for a political ad?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN link

What do you think? Should the video he pulled as a matter of taste and sensitivity? Should it be pulled because Republicans will use it against the Dems? Or should it be left alone?

I haven't been able to see the video myself, because first of all I can't find the damn thing (the link in the story appears to be wrong), and second, whenever I click on video links on the DCCC website, they lock up my browser. (Way to go, Dems.)

That admission aside, I can't believe the Dems would use the video in any tasteless or insensitive way. If there's any reason to pull the ad, I'd say it has to do with giving Limbaugh, Hannity and others ammunition to use against the Dems. The Democrats probably don't really need to show flag-draped coffins, because they've already probably convinced almost all of the fence-sitters to come out against the war. The few blind fools who still believe in it, well, this video is not going to convince them.

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Republican or Democrat, the idea of using flag draped coffins for political purposes is sickening...

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is the issue that the dems are trying to capitalize on the failure of the war or the images that represent that failure?

if it's the latter, which images should they use? if it's the former, are the republicans allowed to run on what they claim is a successful war?

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Sickening or realistic? Lots of soldiers are dying and if Americans can't handle seeing coffins then that says a lot about how much they actually care for the soldiers of their country.

I don't think this is "too much" for a political ad. I think it's realistic. Too many people have a childlike view of what is going on over there.

But I couldn't find my way to the video either, so there's no telling if it's being used in a tasteless or insensitive way.

e

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I can see where it could easily backfire on them. I'd much rather have an add where they take all of the clips from news shows with quotes from Rummy, Cheney, Bush, and the lot, where they claim that Saddam definitely has WMDs, the war would be over in 6 months or less and cost less than $60 billion... be sure to mention that it's cost nearly $300 billion so far, over 3 years, and still no WMDs. End with "haven't we been lied to enough?".....

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Its one thing if the images are in a news publication. Its a complete other if they are used in a political video.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

News publications have a vested interest in publishing the most striking photographs in order to attract viewership. These "things" aren't so different.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

And what about cheering crowds in Iraq and images of grand liberation?

Are those images not a grave insult to the innocent Iraqis who have died as a result of this "war on terrorism :rolleyes:"? Those images have been used countless times.

e

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not convinced that showing a coffin for political purposes is worse than sending the soldier off to die for political purposes.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

****, man, haven't you been paying attention? The symbolism is always more important than what it represents.

Works the same for flags, marriage and (now) dead kids in boxes.

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

exactly.

e

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If all of the republican bullsh** propaganda is fair game, there's not reason this can't be.

I think a good number of americans don't understand just how bad it has been, is, and is going to get in the middle east, maybe this could help...

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? You know what? As far as I'm concerned it's THE only thing worth using politically. The Bush administration has gone way too far trying to justify a stupid, wasteful war.

The Bush administration should be embarrassed that they caused this in the first place, now that we really need our soldiers elsewhere.

I'll tell you something else ham_man, my cousin is still over there (after being told he'd be home months ago). If that kid dies, I'm going to be the next Sheehan. You can count on that.

As long as it isn't you or your family doing the fighting, it's OK, right?

14. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

. . . .

GENIUS! Seriously, well put.

Last I heard, pictures of soldier's funerals or of the planes full of bodies coming home were technically illegal because . . . BECAUSE! Anyone know what the status of said ruling is nowadays?

I'd contact my congressman about this but he quit last June because he was a corrupt liar. I'm hoping it means that with no representation I don't have to pay taxes. :D

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

On that note, my brother goes back in August. I know no words to describe how upset I am.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

meanwhile...

17. aquajet macrumors 68020

The pictures aren't illegal, but it is official policy to bar any sort of media coverage of returning bodies. Probably for the best, really. After all, we wouldn't want to jeopardise our mission by inundating Americans with realism.

Link

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I find any use of soldiers as political pawns offensive.

Even so, we can not turn a blind eye or sanitize the realities of
    war and the results of the Bush administration's lies and blunders.

I also think we have a responsibility to show the effects of this war addressing the numbers of fallen soldiers and the wounded who will bear the physical and emotional scars of this conflict for the rest of their lives, but doing so with all due respect.

Our involvement in Iraq now exceeds the time we were involved in WWII.

Now with new hostilities mounting all over the middle east, there is no way
    we can safely reduce the number of troop deployments.

As much as I detest war and violence and want to see our soldiers come home, I don't think it's wise or realistic to raise our hopes any time soon.

Even with a complete change of our leadership, the damage has been done
    and it will take decades before things return to some version of stability.

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hmm. If you read deeper into that story, DeWine's people are citing Sherrod Brown's votes, um, creatively:

In my book, using the WTC images to fudge someone else's record is not fair game.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Why not? Not saying I like it when either side does stuff like that, but it is the reality. People are sick of our troops getting killed in Iraq and he's implying that if elected, he'll actually be able to do something about it. Which he probably won't. Anymore than the other one helped cause 9/11.

Yes, it's sickening on both sides, but welcome to politics.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the coffin ad got pulled.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Once again the Democrats will capitulate and pull the ad in the face of criticism, while the Republican will likely continue his ad through the criticism...

Telling, no?

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You're surprised?

Dems try to be sensitive, makes them look weak. Which is pretty accurate actually. Reps raise a stink when it's the other side, continue to do so after they concede, criticize them for being spineless flipfloppers, then does the same thing only worse and calls it patriotism. People fall for it, Dems left scratching their heads as to why they lost (again) calling everyone else stupid. America continues to bend over while the neocons do as they please with the support of moderates who just want to get elected while the "opposition" does nothing but complain.

Again, welcome to politics.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not surprised at all. Just making a note of it.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interesting rationalization by Boehner here about why it's OK to show flag-draped coffins in ads if you're a Republican, but not if you're a Democrat...
    Once again, IOKIYAR...