Are Imac DV discs suitable for IMac OS8.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by haute@tiscali.c, Nov 13, 2006.

1. haute@tiscali.c macrumors newbie

I am new to Apple computers. I have an iMac OS 8.5, which is working fine, but I do not have the original OS discs. I do have a set of genuine iMac DV model discs (Software Install and Software Restore).
    My problem hinges around my Internet Connection which uses Internet Explorer 5 on a Broadband connection. I have a good email connection, but when I attempt to open Internet Explorer 5 I immediately get an error message “ An error occurred in loading the MS Internet library(PPC) library. Re-installing should solve the problem” I have been advised elsewhere on this forum to update and/or install another type of browser. Hence the question whether the DV discs will update the OS 8.5 satisfactorily. I am not sure whether the DV discs will have any Browser software either?

2. ickystay macrumors regular

Go ahead and insert the DV Software Install and look for a folder called "Software Installers". Good chance there will be an IE installer there.

I don't think the installer will dump your old bookmarks or whatever, but you should probably go to System Folder/Preferences/Explorer and make backups just in case.

3. haute@tiscali.c thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very useful information.
    Yes the disk did contain software installer?Internet access>install Internet access which I did and it went smoothly. There was another folder there "parts" which contains Aladin,CAF pats,MS Parts,Netscape Parts & pluggins but their was no obvious way of installing them.
    This resulted in Netscape Communicator being installed (12Mb), but all I can find at the present time is Netscape's equivalent of Outlook Express and I have been unable to configure it as yet. No sign of a netscape browser to do away with Internet Explorer 5.
    Outlook Express 5 and Internet Explorer 5.1 are still on the system. OE 5 has lost it's email connection and IE 5.1 still comes up with the error message regarding the PPC library.
    message problem by Dropping them onto the Extensions Manager - but no the error message still appeared. Oddly, after installing the software from the DV disk all the PPC library files were back in the Trash Bin. - any ideas on that please.
    The other thing - no Netscape icon appeared on the desktop as I would have expected in MS Windows.

4. haute@tiscali.c thread starter macrumors newbie

With reference to the above, I have managed to get Netscape Communicator 4.61 up and running from the DV Software install disc. Even though the installation went smoothly, it was more by luck than good judgement that I finally got the Netscape browser working.
    I did get the Netscape email software working at one stage, but have somehow lost that. However the Outlook Express 5.1 is still there and working fine.
    If anyone has can assist me in finding the Netscape email software I should be obliged.
    For an old computer the Internet connection works just as quickly as my powerful Windows XP Pro with Internet Explorer, which surprises me.
    Many thanks for the assistance regarding using the DV install software.

5. ickystay macrumors regular

Sorry you couldn't find an easy IE installer on the disk. Still, it sounds like you are learning how to cobble stuff together in OS 8.

As long as you are going the Netscape rout, why not start fresh with their most recent OS 8 browser?

ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape7/english/7.02/mac/macos8/sea/Netscape-mac-full.bin

Oh, and a goofy idea- here's a Microsoft Internet Library extension:

http://users.rio.com/senorris/ext/msil.zip

Open the zip and drop the extension on your system folder. It will tell you it needs to be put in the extensions folder. Click O.K. Then it might say there is already one in there and ask if you want to replace it? Click O.K. Restart and see if your old IE is happy again.

Good luck!