Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spartacus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
Aside from all the warnings about the difficulty and warranty concers of opening an iMac, are those graphics chips upgradeable later on? I heard something about how they use a new technological standard that allows them to be swappable. Is this true?

I game so the GFX chip is critical and am just looking to the future :) Thanks folks!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
There's a slim chance in the 24" model with NVidia's MXM card. You'd have to flash it for EFI operations at worst. That is before final installation. :D

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
The graphics card in the 24 inch iMac is believed to be upgradeable but I have not heard of anyone trying it yet, so for now it's do at your own risk.

luser18

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2006
The 24" iMac as mentioned has the MXM card technology, so in theory it is upgradable, however MXM cards are currently only available to OEM's and through http://www.mxm-upgrade.com . That site however is more about informing people about MXM, and I'm not quite sure how they are the only site that has MXM cards out there. Also, the fact that the 24" iMac is the only one using Mac firmware on the MXM card makes it even less plausible (at this time) to upgrade the card.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
It is technically "possible" on the 24-Inch iMac but as of the moment I don't think it is REALLY possible, you know in a practical way.

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
Miami, Fl
yep,

wouldn't you think apple would've marketed it if the gpu could be upgraded?

UNLESSS they come out with a later announcement saying that the imac 24" had a longer life b/c they are introducing new and improved gpu's

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
wchong said:
yep,

wouldn't you think apple would've marketed it if the gpu could be upgraded?

UNLESSS they come out with a later announcement saying that the imac 24" had a longer life b/c they are introducing new and improved gpu's
Santa Rosa is going to open a new can of worms with the 965 mobile chipset. Still, if they implement the MXM standard they can open up custom options. I don't think it'll help reduce costs with more available models though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.