Are Intel iMacs louder than G5 iMacs?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ceruleanventure, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

This is a odd question, but are Intel macs louder than previous macs? I just recieved an Intel iMac as a replacement for my dead iMac G5 and both myself and my family has noticed a loud sound (Sounds like a needle playing on an old record player) which is coming from the iMac. My first iMac was very quiet, however when I start using the new iMac this odd sound keeps happening. Is this normal? I am just worried that this scratching sound might by evidence of something breaking down. Also the sound is a lot louder when under Windows XP. Thanks for the help! :eek:

PS: the sound is loud enough to be picked up on the internal microphone, however I don't know how to link the file to Macrumors. :confused:

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

it could be a broken internal speaker

call apple

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's not normal. My Intel is MUCH quieter than my old G5 (it's almost silent, whereas I got the nickname "Air Force One" when playing games online on my G5 due to the mic picking up the fan noise).

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed. The Intel iMac should be silent - well, virtually so. I cannot hear mine from more than a few inches away.

5. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I'm on my Intel iMac right now and can't hear a thing. I love this machine!