Are iPhone 5 screens just inherently yellower?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by class77, Nov 9, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

class77

Compared to my iPhone 4, the screen is much yellower on the iPhone 5. It's consistant, but at the same brightness setting, it's just not as white. There is no adjustment for this, is there?

2. macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

well i dont think they actually look more yellow. I feel the iphone 4s/4 is just more blue. I prefer a warm tinted screen.. to me it looks more natural.

unfortunately the only way to change it is via a jailbreak tweak :/ and no jailbreak for the 5 yet. (but its on the way)

3. macrumors newbie

As mentioned above it is just a bit warmer, i came from an iphone 4 and at first was the same and though the display looked of poor quality, but now when i go back to the iphone 4 or hold it next my 5 the 5 screen looks absolutely amazing and the 4 looks too blue,

Strange one tbf mate, comes down to your eye, go to a store and see if there's are the same as yours? if not then see about getting replaced?

4. macrumors 68000

It sucks that there is no calibration option for stock iOS.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

class77

Thanks guys. Not going to jailbreak it for this. I'll either live with it or go back to my 4....Thanks

6. macrumors 601

PNutts

7. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I kinda liked the deeper blue. But I guess that's what they meant by better color saturation. To me the yellow makes it look kind of grainy

8. macrumors 65816

And my 4S is bluer/whiter than my room mates 5.

Goes to show that the screens will vary. Different manufacturers/plants, etc.

9. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The yellow screen issue has been around since the 4. I have had 5 4S's and 1 5. 3 of the 4S's were returned due to yellow screens. The 5 I have has a tad yellowish too it but cosmetically is perfect and at this point I am not willing to gamble on other defects to exchange it.

10. macrumors 68000

4 and 4s have made the 5 look yellow. However the 5 is calibrated more realistically. After a week with the 5 you'll enjoy the realistic color more in pictures, Apps and games.

11. macrumors member

12. macrumors member

I've had 2 iPhone 5s now sent first back due to scratches. I also noticed that whites were rather yellow. So I looked at the replacement and it seems completely different. Far less yellow, white is actually white plus no scratches so I'm happy.

13. macrumors demi-god

thatoneguy82

Nope. And no glaring difference from my 4S. My 5 is pretty solid, per the S/N it was built about 5 days ago before I bought it! So, definitely brand new!

And oh yeah, my camera does [look yellow] when I'm at home.

14. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

No no no. There are yellow 5 screens. These yellow screens show white as urine or nicotine tinted. This is not realistic or accurate. It happened with the 4, 4S and now some 5. The yellow tint effects all colors and makes them look dull. It's a defect.

Take your yellow screen back and get a replacement.

15. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

This. If you just have a warmer tint, you're good. If you have the extreme coloring, take it back. You'll know which one you have because of the huge difference.

16. macrumors G4

daneoni

Mr Rocko1 and his personal mission against yellow screens.

17. macrumors 65816

trekkie604

My iPhone 4S was way yellower than my 4. Thankfully the 5 is less yellow than the 4S...

[​IMG]