Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Don't worry. These fellas are just pinching and squeezing and nitpicking all that's left that can be used to criticize Android. And whatever they can squeeze, they'll blow up to obfuscate and make it a bigger issue than it is. To some, millisecond differences in touch responsiveness, or waiting a little bit for games like Punch Quest (hell of a fun game, not knocking it) is a deal breaker. All fair points of view.

The perceived difference between 80 milliseconds of touchscreen lag and 30 milliseconds of lag is huge. And nitpicking? Android users do this constantly, because truth is both platforms are very capable at performing most smartphone tasks.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
As much as I like Apple products it's just starting to get really really expensive.

Just look at the new MacBook pro 13: 1700$!!! Then look at the iPad mini: 329$.
Then look at the iPhone contact free: an impossible 700$ in my country.

And we must consider iOS is not what it used to be. One year ago, before ICS, I think there was no doubt that iOS and iPhone were better.

In only one year we got ICS, JB and 4.2, which are far more feature rich than the last two iOS generations... which got notifications, cloud services and voice commands much later than Android.

For me the toughest part is price. I'm not gonna spend what Apple asks anymore. Too much for too little.

I can upgrade phones and tablets much cheaper thanks to the nexus family, and I get amazing hardware and amazing software.

I mean... seriously... there's not even a file explorer on iOS!! Every OS has it, be it a phone or desktop OS.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The flagship phone, arguably better than the iPhone 5 - (specs dont matter I know - but Jelly Bean is really really smooth nowadays, and Android is moving forward at a faster rate than iOS), almost as many apps and.... for $300 less than the iPhone 5 16gb??

How is this a fair fight???
Don't forget that Apple and Google have two totally different business models.

Apple is a hardware company. The majority of their revenue comes from selling not-inexpensive devices.

Google is an advertising company. Almost all of their revenue comes from selling advertisements. So when they sell you a good phone for $300 less than Apple, remember that virtually every time that you use that phone, you're generating additional revenue for them.

Of course, that's not money of your pocket, so you probably don't care. But if you're really going to compare hardware prices between Google and Apple, that's an important differentiating factor.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Sounds like you're the perfect market audience for Apple. Fair enough.
Or Microsoft? ;)
I'd be more than happy with having a lot of Android's features on the iPhone (which Apple is more than capable of doing), but it'd have to stay lag-free. Performance before more features. If I can have both, awesome! If I can only have more of one than the other, I'll take performance every time.
Don't worry. These fellas are just pinching and squeezing and nitpicking all that's left that can be used to criticize Android. And whatever they can squeeze, they'll blow up to obfuscate and make it a bigger issue than it is. To some, millisecond differences in touch responsiveness, or waiting a little bit for games like Punch Quest (hell of a fun game, not knocking it) is a deal breaker. All fair points of view.
Lag is unacceptable on a quad-core device running the latest and greatest OS and I don't know why people make excuses for it.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The perceived difference between 80 milliseconds of touchscreen lag and 30 milliseconds of lag is huge. And nitpicking? Android users do this constantly, because truth is both platforms are very capable at performing most smartphone tasks.

What exactly are the numbers? I tried to google some measurements post Project Butter, and can't seem to dig any up. I'm genuinely curious to see how big this difference really is.

Anyone can find anything?

----------

Lag is unacceptable on a quad-core device running the latest and greatest OS and I don't know why people make excuses for it.

You've used the Nexus 4? Please, more impressions.

No one is making excuses. It would be foolish for me not to admit Android is laggier than iOS or to not wish for it to get better with each software update, but the differences are marginal in my experience. And again, it's not like iOS doesn't lag itself. But, if those marginal differences does mean the world to you, iOS is the way to go. One would have to reconcile everything else iOS falls short on, all of which you are okay with.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm passing the time playing Punch Quest...sadly, it's not on android.

iOS is the developers choice.

Is there a way to send a file from the iPhone to someone's else iPhone or iPad and the other way around?

And email doesn't count since many people just don't want to share their private email addresses.

How would you do it without email? Is there a way?

On Android I can use Bluetooth or Android Beam for instant transfers.

So advanced is iOS that you can't share files between its own family of devices. Absurd.

Is it that hard to implement airdrop or something like that? Stupid Apple and its stupid decisions.

PS: I'm passing the time playing Donkey Kong and Super Mario... sadly, you can't do that on iOS...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Every phone will lag sometimes. The iPhone, the GS3. Just testing the phones out at at&t's kiosk today, I found the iphone to be just a bit better at handling lag. It also depends on how much you run in the background. I think people complain about android's lag because they don't end background processes and have like 10 apps running at a time. Apple on the other hand closes down apps when over 3 or 4 are open (they still show up when you double tap home but they aren't actively running or ready to quickly resume action). Its intuitive on apple's part but also a restriction that can draw criticism

Basically, this.

Very curious to know what the exact touch input lag numbers are between both systems. It could be major. I want to see how major.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
You've used the Nexus 4? Please, more impressions.
I was talking about the N7. :confused: Unless you meant I haven't used 4.2 yet? Which is true, but 4.1.2 is still the latest update available to the public.
No one is making excuses. It would be foolish for me not to admit Android is laggier than iOS or to not wish for it to get better with each software update, but the differences are marginal in my experience. And again, it's not like iOS doesn't lag itself. But, if those marginal differences does mean the world to you, iOS is the way to go. One would have to reconcile everything else iOS falls short on, all of which you are okay with.
I don't know, apologies if I'm sounding heated, but it doesn't feel like a marginal difference to me. iOS/WP and Android still feel worlds apart. In terms of everything iOS falls short on, I'm perfectly fine with as I wouldn't really want to use my phone to do anything that complex (and there's usually the option of jailbreaking to obtain some of those features down the track). On a tablet though, I think iOS' simplicity is unacceptable, which is why I went for a Nexus 7 in the first place and why I'll be getting a Windows 8 tablet.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Don't forget that Apple and Google have two totally different business models.

Apple is a hardware company. The majority of their revenue comes from selling not-inexpensive devices.

Google is an advertising company. Almost all of their revenue comes from selling advertisements. So when they sell you a good phone for $300 less than Apple, remember that virtually every time that you use that phone, you're generating additional revenue for them.

Of course, that's not money of your pocket, so you probably don't care. But if you're really going to compare hardware prices between Google and Apple, that's an important differentiating factor.

This! Some people seem to get it and many others just don't understand.

For lack of a better term, Apple has a monopoly on iOS devices. Any smartphone manufacturer would love to sell their devices at a much higher price point, but there is just too much competition. If Samsung releases the GS3 at $100 or $200 they would get laughed out of the market because there are just way too many alternatives that run the same software.

On the other hand, I think Google is finally starting to give Apple reason to worry. Android is a very capable and intriguing alternative now, so in turn Apple is going to have to start giving its consumers even more reason to pay their premium. And hopefully that reason comes in the form of software innovation.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
How far will the 1.5 S4 Quad-core processor go in reducing input lag?

How much will the LG Zerogap technology go in helping too? On Zerogap: "The result is greater touch sensitivity offering users an immersive and real-touch sensing experience..."

I wonder.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Android is not without its own faults (again, the humility of most Android users is a stark contrast to the "it just works" mentality of most iOS users) but it's come a long way and many of the concerns of Android from yesteryear are long gone.

Just curious where you get this from? I've seen you repeat it over and over. I don't know how you've "measured" this.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Just curious where you get this from? I've seen you repeat it over and over. I don't know how you've "measured" this.

That's been my experience and observation around these forums and the XDA forums for the past year or two. How many times have we heard the phrase "it just works" uttered? Too many. Apple fans should be appalled by the damage that phrase has done.

Having said that, I do notice it's not used as often anymore. A lot of people, not just myself, are finally calling out on the silliness and inaccuracy of that phrase.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
That's been my experience and observation around these forums and the XDA forums for the past year or two. How many times have we heard the phrase "it just works" uttered? Too many. Apple fans should be appalled by the damage that phrase has done.

Having said that, I do notice it's not used as often anymore. A lot of people, not just myself, are finally calling out on the silliness and inaccuracy of that phrase.

I just find it strange that you act as if Android user's as a whole are open about Android's flaws and iOS users are close-minded.

I mean, for the longest time we heard that Android didn't lag at all from MANY Android enthusiasts here. Then ICS came out and the lag issues (that apparently didn't exist, mind you) were a thing of the past according to Android fans. Then JB came out with Project Butter and the lag that "never" existed was as smooth as iOS and WP.

I think it's very silly to try and say one side is better than the other. That's why I wouldn't do it.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
I don't know how many times I have to mention this but Jelly Bean does not get rid of lag. It get rid of UI lag and that's it. It's up to the devs to make their apps not laggy and good luck with that. I have apps that haven't been updated in a while. Devs are still not even updating their apps to tablet format yet. The devs don't care on on android since they know they can make a killing on ios. Netflix interface is so damn laggy on my Transformer Prime and even my blu-ray player and it hurts my eyes, but it's buttery smooth on the ipad. It took forever for CNN to fix their tablet app so it didn't crash on everyone's tablet, but you open it up on ipad and ran perfect with no crashes.

----------

I just find it strange that you act as if Android user's as a whole are open about Android's flaws and iOS users are close-minded.

I mean, for the longest time we heard that Android didn't lag at all from MANY Android enthusiasts here. Then ICS came out and the lag issues (that apparently didn't exist, mind you) were a thing of the past according to Android fans. Then JB came out with Project Butter and the lag that "never" existed was as smooth as iOS and WP.

I think it's very silly to try and say one side is better than the other. That's why I wouldn't do it.

this is true but ppl like to justify their purchase. I use to do it but I never even touched a ios device. Hell I signed up to this site not even touching a ios device and trolled. Once I bought a ios device I found out it wasn't as bad as ppl made it out to be.

jimmyb5374

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
berkshire,U.K.
Did you read my response at all ? how do i sound like a samsung commercial ?:eek:

This is what makes me cross , the whole reasoned debate always boils down to iphones are cooler , they don't have to have the features , you know deal with it YOLO !!!

Some people , myself included , worked to buy their i phones , and guess what , within 3 days the whole app store infrastructure died for several hours , hmm that's cool isnt it

I really like the iphone but please remember at the end of the day apple owe us all as customers jack squat , so why pretend they do this for the customers, they do this to try and squash google like a bug, i believe that was one of Steve's legacy quests , was to be the only place to go for a mobile/tablet/laptop/music player.

So from a progression and innovation yes iphone users are getting jibbed

Apple is more popular.

While I agree that there are people who buy phones as status symbols and that Apple is the pinnacle of that for phones, saying that is the reason why they literally destroy any single Android model is about as ridiculous as saying that Android fanboys only buy the phone because it's NOT an iPhone and they want to be anti-establishment (which I'm sure happens too, but isn't the main driver of sales...).

Some of it is fragmentation, sure, but it still doesn't explain why Android can't build a phone (even the mighty SGS3) that makes signifigant strides in convincing Apple folks to jump ship. Even if both segements are gaining market share, it's just because BlackBerry and dumb phones are LOSING it, not because people are leaving Apple for Android.

Androids AREN'T as cool as iPhones. Sure it's a factor, but again, it's just one of MANY (AND it's cooler (therefore more people have them, they get more support, more developers want to develop for them, there are more accessories, etc.).

The iPhone is the better overall package.

People vote with their wallets, and Apple charges more and STILL has people lining up to buy it. It's primarily repeat business because of overwhelming satifaction... not people jumping ship to be cool like their buddies.

You sound like a Samsung commercial :p

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Those are just pulled out of my camera roll I'm sure there are more. That is things I was able to take a pic of not aps crashing or things like that. For example there is a thread called post your panorama pics in iOS 6 forum. In tapatalk if I scroll through the pics it will crash tapatalk every single time.

I don't find android to be any less or more reliable then iOS.

Out of all those pictures, the only problem I've had is the app/iTunes stores going completely white. That happens every couple of days, and is really annoying when I want to buy music/apps.

Are you jailbroken?

I've only had my iPhone a month so maybe I just haven't had it long enough to start spazzing out yet :p

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
yeah I bet dude that posted all those photos is jailbroken. If I bought any phone with those problems I would had took it back day 1. I never saw a non jailbroken iphone with any one of those problems.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't know how many times I have to mention this but Jelly Bean does not get rid of lag. It get rid of UI lag and that's it. It's up to the devs to make their apps not laggy and good luck with that. I have apps that haven't been updated in a while. Devs are still not even updating their apps to tablet format yet. The devs don't care on on android since they know they can make a killing on ios. Netflix interface is so damn laggy on my Transformer Prime and even my blu-ray player and it hurts my eyes, but it's buttery smooth on the ipad. It took forever for CNN to fix their tablet app so it didn't crash on everyone's tablet, but you open it up on ipad and ran perfect with no crashes.

----------

this is true but ppl like to justify their purchase. I use to do it but I never even touched a ios device. Hell I signed up to this site not even touching a ios device and trolled. Once I bought a ios device I found out it wasn't as bad as ppl made it out to be.

What apps are laggy? I don't have any but I'd like to download them to see what you mean. Lets find apps that are as equal or more laggy then Facebook was before its update on iOS.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
yeah I bet dude that posted all those photos is jailbroken. If I bought any phone with those problems I would had took it back day 1. I never saw a non jailbroken iphone with any one of those problems.

My photos? Nice try, not only is that not jail broken its different versions of iOS on 2 different devices.

EVERY problem on there was posted on this forum and other people (your fellow ios users) confirmed or reported having the same glitch once or twice.

Nice try though. Good luck denying reality.

Not positive but I'm pretty sure there is no jailbreak for this.

sedu5umu.jpg

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
How far will the 1.5 S4 Quad-core processor go in reducing input lag?

How much will the LG Zerogap technology go in helping too? On Zerogap: "The result is greater touch sensitivity offering users an immersive and real-touch sensing experience..."

I wonder.

Our screens have long been capable of little input lag, it's mostly about the software at this point.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Our screens have long been capable of little input lag, it's mostly about the software at this point.

Good point.

Any luck finding the numbers of the input difference? I can't find any.

EDIT: This is all I could find from Google's developer website:

To ensure a consistent framerate, Android 4.1 extends vsync timing across all drawing and animation done by the Android framework. Everything runs in lockstep against a 16 millisecond vsync heartbeat — application rendering, touch events, screen composition, and display refresh — so frames don’t get ahead or behind.

Not even sure what any of that means or how that compares to iOS.

EDIT2: Found this regarding iPhone 5's touch response:

Display response time

iPhone 5: average 23 milliseconds

http://iphone-myspace.blogspot.com/2012/09/compared-to-apple-iphone-5-display.html

So... is higher better? Shouldn't lower response time be better? Or do those measurements having nothing to do with touch response time?

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Good point.

Any luck finding the numbers of the input difference? I can't find any.

EDIT: This is all I could find from Google's developer website:

To ensure a consistent framerate, Android 4.1 extends vsync timing across all drawing and animation done by the Android framework. Everything runs in lockstep against a 16 millisecond vsync heartbeat — application rendering, touch events, screen composition, and display refresh — so frames don’t get ahead or behind.

Not even sure what any of that means or how that compares to iOS.

Microsoft is trying to reduce input lag to ~1 ms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4

Nobody actually publishes precise measurements of input lag on their system, but judging from the video I'd say the average Android phone is somewhere in the vicinity of 75-85 ms (varies greatly between devices and applications, though), and iOS is about 30-40 (consistently). I can't wait for 1 ms, it would be a pretty surreal experience compared to what we've got now. Unfortunately, they say it's 10 years away.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Microsoft is trying to reduce input lag to ~1 ms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4

Nobody actually publishes precise measurements of input lag on their system, but judging from the video I'd say the average Android phone is somewhere in the vicinity of 75-85 ms (varies greatly between devices and applications, though), and iOS is about 30-40 (consistently). I can't wait for 1 ms, it would be a pretty surreal experience compared to what we've got now. Unfortunately, they say it's 10 years away.

So based on your inexact measurements, an average of 35 or so milliseconds of difference in touch response trumps everything Android has to offer over iOS for you. It's not a question, just want to put it there for some perspective. I just can't help but feel that these differences are minor (much like other often touted advantages that iOS has over Android, e.g. app selection).

I think I can live with 35 millisecond difference in my life to gain the advantages I posted here: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16195195/

That's just me, of course.

1 millisecond would be nuts. We'll talk again in 10 years about this, I guess. Heh.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
My photos? Nice try, not only is that not jail broken its different versions of iOS on 2 different devices.

EVERY problem on there was posted on this forum and other people (your fellow ios users) confirmed or reported having the same glitch once or twice.

Nice try though. Good luck denying reality.

Not positive but I'm pretty sure there is no jailbreak for this.

Yep no public jailbreak for iOS 6 yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.