Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I can notice a difference between Android and iOS but I could not possibly consider that to be a deal breaker.

Nor I.

What Android offers makes it up in spades.

----------

Regarding responsiveness of the Nexus 4:

"I can say that performance and responsiveness on the device is second to none. It's a very speedy phone that barely ever hesitated or failed to respond to my touches or commands. In particular, multitasking between a number of applications was no issue for the phone, buoyed up — I presume — by that generous 2GB of RAM." -Verge

"Software" and "Performance" got perfect 10's.

This from SlashGear:

"No matter the app or the complexity of the webpage, the Nexus 4 whipped through with zero lag or delay. It’s fast and responsive, and a great playing ground for the new version of Jelly Bean."

Last edited:

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Responsiveness and the screen lagging behind your finger are probably too different things. I feel like screen size makes a big difference too, my 4S feels a lot more responsive then my iPad 3 and my now sold iPad 2 did. Mostly because and like you said I can see the screen behind my finger movement more....not due to hardware but the gap is more noticeable on a larger screen.
Nah, it's not that. It's not only my iPhone 5 that I'm comparing my N7 to- my brother has an iPad 2 and my girlfriend has an iPad 3, they both perform far, far better than my Nexus. As did the Windows 8 tablet I tried, Android is far behind both in performance.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
The iPhone is doomed!!!
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-specs-features-include-5-inch-display-exynos-5450-processor-126575/

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Do I feel I'm being jibbed as an iPhone user? No. I look at the iPhone as an appendage of my computer, a MBP. And until there is another computer out there that provides me the dependability, power, and integration that I get from my MBP, I can't see myself by going with any other phone. It also works with another part of my Apple infrastructure, my Apple TV. I know Google TV is coming along, but having the ability to stream video and audio, integrated simply in the operating system of both iOS and Mac OS is killer for my family.

That said, 9 out of 10 people should pick Android over iPhone. Why? If your only computer is going to be your phone, or you use a Windows computer like the majority of the world, Android does everything anyone could possibly want. It is the perfect choice for most.

In fact, if Google ever provides a reliable verision of Airplay, and I finally make up my mind to shift from the 'laptop as main computer' model to a 'netbook plus home server model', I'd probably shift to Android.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's huge to the experience. I've been using responsive Apple products for the majority of my tech life, and I couldn't imagine going to something with noticeably more latency. It would never be the sole reason, but it's definitely one of them.

Yo Z... might interest you since this is one of the few things you list is standing in your way of going Android.

"I can say that performance and responsiveness on the device is second to none. It's a very speedy phone that barely ever hesitated or failed to respond to my touches or commands. In particular, multitasking between a number of applications was no issue for the phone, buoyed up — I presume — by that generous 2GB of RAM." -Verge

Perhaps this will shorten your list.

EDIT: And this from SlashGear:

"No matter the app or the complexity of the webpage, the Nexus 4 whipped through with zero lag or delay. It’s fast and responsive, and a great playing ground for the new version of Jelly Bean."

Last edited:

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Do I feel I'm being jibbed as an iPhone user? No. I look at the iPhone as an appendage of my computer, a MBP. And until there is another computer out there that provides me the dependability, power, and integration that I get from my MBP, I can't see myself by going with any other phone. It also works with another part of my Apple infrastructure, my Apple TV. I know Google TV is coming along, but having the ability to stream video and audio, integrated simply in the operating system of both iOS and Mac OS is killer for my family.

That said, 9 out of 10 people should pick Android over iPhone. Why? If your only computer is going to be your phone, or you use a Windows computer like the majority of the world, Android does everything anyone could possibly want. It is the perfect choice for most.

In fact, if Google ever provides a reliable verision of Airplay, and I finally make up my mind to shift from the 'laptop as main computer' model to a 'netbook plus home server model', I'd probably shift to Android.

This pretty much sums up my position, as well. Thanks for posting this.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Yo Z... might interest you since this is one of the few things you list is standing in your way of going Android.

Perhaps this will shorten your list.
That's the kind of review that led me to buy the N7, what was said in reviews wasn't true at all. While it's entirely possible that the N4 is lag free, I'd implore anyone reading this, lurkers and members, to give any Android device they're considering buying a good test run before purchasing. Make sure performance in the OS is lag free- compare it to an iOS or Windows device if you have one on hand, make sure all the apps you use and want are available in the Play Store and are compatible with the device (be very careful with country-specific apps, especially if you live in a smaller market like I do) and make sure you test the performance of those apps, even if you find the OS' performance adequate, each app's performance varies wildly. And if you have a friend who has owned said device for a while, even better- test how they perform after they've accumulated months of cruft.

Make sure you're 100% happy with it before buying it, otherwise you'll be in for disappointment, like I was.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
replace games with ecosystem. but they are interchangeable cause whenever people are talking about the great ecosystem of iOS, they are talking about the games.

Since when? Maybe I'm the exception but Notes, Calendar & Contacts are my biggest fuzzy feeling about the iOS/OS X ecosystem.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
That's the kind of review that led me to buy the N7, what was said in reviews wasn't true at all.

Not sure which review you read, but for consistency's sake, I'm pulling the Nexus 7 review from The Verge:

Regarding Performance:

"Performance on the Nexus 7 was zippy. Snappy. Buttery, if you will. We already know that the Tegra 3 chipset is no slouch, and it felt particularly slouch-free on this tablet.

General OS performance was excellent — helped undoubtedly by Android 4.1 and its "Project Butter" initiative which is said to vastly improve touch response and smoothness in Android. Apps were also quick to open and close, and speedy in use. In particular, 3D gaming that was optimized for the Tegra chipset looked stunning and held steady frame rates, and basic tasks like multitasking were nearly instantaneous."

Here's Engadget's take on Project Butter:

"Sure, there are the occasional stutters and hiccups here that even a coating of Butter doesn't completely eliminate, but we've experienced those with even the top-shelf tablets"

Of course, I'm only checking two reviews. But neither of them say it's completely lag-free or perfect. Everywhere it does say Jelly Bean improves touch response and animations and smoothness. Basically, they're alluding to how close the competition is closing in on iOS' smoothness. As mentioned earlier in this thread, we are talking the differences of milliseconds.

But more simply put: No OS is lag free, not even iOS. But if Josh Topolsky can say "lag-free" and "response is second to none" in the Nexus 4 review, you can bet it's pretty near. Of course, no one outside of tech journalism knows for sure. Hopefully it is as good as they say, and as good as iOS.

Regarding the rest of your post, yes, people should do research, especially with Android when there are so many different choices and options.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
it's entirely possible that the N4 is lag free

Just to add to it, from SlashGear:

Entirely possible, indeed.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Not sure which review you read
NY Times:

"By far the most important change, however, is smoothness. Google engineers knocked themselves out trying to make Android 4.1 as responsive to your touch as, ahem, the other leading tablet. Animations all run at a supersmooth speed of 60 frames a second. Google says it tries to anticipate where your next finger touch will be, and begins to redraw the screen at that point.

Wow, does it work. Google’s tablet is now Applesque in its fluid touch response. All other makers of touch-screen gadgets should take note."

Gizmodo Australia:

"When you actually get down to using it, the new version of Android known as Jelly Bean, rewards you with super-fast performance coupled with smooth operation. Google tweaked a lot of things between Ice Cream Sandiwch and Jelly Bean — right down to new window animations — and that care really shows."

Techradar:

"Swiping through screens is fast and responsive – even on apps that haven't yet been updated for 4.1 – while flipping through one of the visually rich magazines now available from Google Play doesn't miss a beat. Ridiculous name aside, Project Butter delivers the goods."

PC World Australia:

"The main feature of Android Jelly Bean is what Google calls "Project Butter", which centres around making the software smoother, faster and fluid. The company claims using Jelly Bean feels a lot smoother than previous versions of the platform and we have to agree. This is by far the best version of Android yet. Using it on a day-to-day basis is smooth, intuitive and fast. There is no sign of any evident lag during everyday tasks. Home screens are butter smooth to swipe through, even with multiple widgets on the screens. Apps open quickly, with no delay. The default browser, Google Chrome, is fast, renders pages efficiently and offers good performance."

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
NY Times:

"By far the most important change, however, is smoothness. Google engineers knocked themselves out trying to make Android 4.1 as responsive to your touch as, ahem, the other leading tablet. Animations all run at a supersmooth speed of 60 frames a second. Google says it tries to anticipate where your next finger touch will be, and begins to redraw the screen at that point.

Wow, does it work. Google’s tablet is now Applesque in its fluid touch response. All other makers of touch-screen gadgets should take note."

Gizmodo Australia:

"When you actually get down to using it, the new version of Android known as Jelly Bean, rewards you with super-fast performance coupled with smooth operation. Google tweaked a lot of things between Ice Cream Sandiwch and Jelly Bean — right down to new window animations — and that care really shows."

Techradar:

"Swiping through screens is fast and responsive – even on apps that haven't yet been updated for 4.1 – while flipping through one of the visually rich magazines now available from Google Play doesn't miss a beat. Ridiculous name aside, Project Butter delivers the goods."

PC World Australia:

"The main feature of Android Jelly Bean is what Google calls "Project Butter", which centres around making the software smoother, faster and fluid. The company claims using Jelly Bean feels a lot smoother than previous versions of the platform and we have to agree. This is by far the best version of Android yet. Using it on a day-to-day basis is smooth, intuitive and fast. There is no sign of any evident lag during everyday tasks. Home screens are butter smooth to swipe through, even with multiple widgets on the screens. Apps open quickly, with no delay. The default browser, Google Chrome, is fast, renders pages efficiently and offers good performance."

Aside from "no evidence of lag" the reviews don't say it's lag-free. They all allude to improvements and reaching "apple-esque" quality, which I think is accurate.

These are different from reviews of the Nexus 4 actually saying it's lag-free, response being second to none, etc. Very different semantics and tone.

However, like I said, no OS is completely lag-free. Not iOS, not Android 4.2 The point is, the apparently major deal breaking disparity of millisecond-differences between the OS's is growing ever smaller --possibly to the point of indiscernable difference -- but if they make that much of a difference to you, that's all good, mate.

I'll take everything else Android offers.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Aside from "no evidence of lag" the reviews don't say it's lag-free. They all allude to improvements and reaching "apple-esque" quality, which I think is accurate.
When reviews were saying that Android is now delivering "Apple-esque" "super fast performance" with "no sign of any evident lag", what was I meant to believe? Those are some pretty glowing superlatives and I was expecting what they said to be true. I was expecting much-improved Android responsiveness on par with iOS, as that's what many reviews said.
These are different from reviews of the Nexus 4 actually saying it's lag-free, response being second to none, etc. Very different semantics and tone.
I just quoted reviews which said the Nexus 7 had no lag and featured Apple-esque responsiveness, which is effectively what these reviews are saying. I have no reason to believe them after my experiences with my N7 and won't be until I try a Nexus 4 for myself.
However, like I said, no OS is completely lag-free. Not iOS, not Android 4.2 The point is, the apparently major deal breaking disparity of millisecond-differences between the OS's is growing ever smaller --possibly to the point of indiscernable difference -- but if they make that much of a difference to you, that's all good, mate.

I'll take everything else Android offers.
iOS and Windows 8 are lag free enough for any lag to be indiscernable, to me anyway. Android is nowhere near close. As I said, maybe the situation has improved with the N4 and 4.2, but it would have had to have improved by a lot to match iOS and W8.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
No 4G LTE?

Do get real, 4G/LTE is not really that brilliant presently - well unless you are a millionaire and live where they have good 4LTE coverage - in the UK 4LTE has only just come online and its bloody expensive - 4LTE is also heavy on battery.

In terms of future proofing, yes the 4LTE may be a reason to purchase, but today, 4LTE just does not cut it, particularly in terms of cost of 3G and amount of data you can utilise free per month.

Hence, Google read the market correct, sell a reasonable priced phone with no 4G capability this year - launch 4G phone in 12 months time.

Also, whilst the fanbois's keep harking on about 4LTE, Apple initially launched the iPhone without any 3G option - where were you then with your complaints then.

For the money, the N4 beats the iPhone 5 hands down - I'll add this caveat though - both Apple and Google need to add more storage, 32G is an insult when games and movies are over 1G in size - we actually should be looking at 32G minimum in these devices with 128G the maximum - its not as if flash is that expensive anymore!!!!

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The nexus4 doesn't have the build quality and premium feel of the iPhone.

Really? exactly how and where were you able to physically inspect this unreleased device?

----------

Having owned android phone since 2007

That's astounding! Especially considering the HTC Dream (the first Android handset), didn't come out until late Oct 2008...thats nearly 2009...

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
And I'm using an old Xoom (tegra 2) with ICS (4.0.4). So I'm sure I'll find the difference even less noticeable on a more powerful device running 4.1+.

Oh wow, you really should update it to 4.1.2 - it runs much, much faster.

The Xoom has gotten better and better with every release and was definitely the pick of the first gen honeycomb tablets. How many of the owners of the other HC tablets have stock JB? zero...

:cool:

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Do get real, 4G/LTE is not really that brilliant presently - well unless you are a millionaire and live where they have good 4LTE coverage - in the UK 4LTE has only just come online and its bloody expensive - 4LTE is also heavy on battery.

In terms of future proofing, yes the 4LTE may be a reason to purchase, but today, 4LTE just does not cut it, particularly in terms of cost of 3G and amount of data you can utilise free per month.

Hence, Google read the market correct, sell a reasonable priced phone with no 4G capability this year - launch 4G phone in 12 months time.

Also, whilst the fanbois's keep harking on about 4LTE, Apple initially launched the iPhone without any 3G option - where were you then with your complaints then.

For the money, the N4 beats the iPhone 5 hands down - I'll add this caveat though - both Apple and Google need to add more storage, 32G is an insult when games and movies are over 1G in size - we actually should be looking at 32G minimum in these devices with 128G the maximum - its not as if flash is that expensive anymore!!!!

Well I live in a highly saturated 4GLTE zone and It is amazing how fast I can do simple web searches now, so it is a big deal in my case.

It is a phone, not a computer. 32GB is perfect for me, and If I need to add some movies before I go on a trip I just sync it with a real COMPUTER.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.