Are LED screens bad for your eyes?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DolmenRage, Apr 12, 2010.

1. macrumors member

I keep hearing from people that LED screens can f' up your eyes because of the flickering or the intensity or something like that.
    If I stay using the computer for too long I sometimes get tired from the eyes and I get some blurry vision, but I figure that's normal.
    Thoughts?

2. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

No worse for your eyes than reading, or CRTs, or CFL LCDs, or OLEDs....

It's most likely just working with the fixed near-field focus for hours on end more than any shortwave blue / leaked UV from the LEDs.

Don't worry, before that it was UV from the CFLs.

And "ultra-mega-gamma rays" from tubes. ;) :D

3. macrumors 68000

student_trap

perhaps, although there are also many who find LED light unbearable, but CCFL and CRTs perfectly comfortable.

for me, it is the blue quality and intensity of LED light that I can't deal with.

To the OP. All screen work is potentially bad for your eyes. As for whether LED light itself is bad, I couldn't say. However, there is a growing number of people who find them hard to deal with.

What to do is pretty obvious to me...if I find something that is uncomfortable to me, I avoid it. I therefore do not use LED screens at all anymore, just in the same way that I don't spend all day starring at the sun.

4. macrumors 6502a

5. Detrius, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

macrumors 68000

Interesting. I can see the flicker in LED Christmas lights and in some car tail lights, but I've never noticed it on an Apple LED-backlit screen. It's freaking annoying in LED Christmas lights.

I'm also one of those people who could see a 60Hz CRT flickering from across the room, and that was insanely distracting. If I remember correctly, it was right about 70Hz that I couldn't see flicker anymore.

Therefore, it depends on the person. Most people would never notice a 60Hz CRT, but if I sat down at someone's machine that was like this, it was so annoying I would immediately change it (it's effectively like looking at a strobe light). I know that I can't claim to have the best eyes out there, so it doesn't surprise me at all that there are people who see things flickering that even I don't.

Yes, I'm aware that this proves I'm not a teenager.

I can hear dog whistles (and those high-pitched ring tones kids use) too.