Are Mac fans enjoying their "Educated Minority" status

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by elensil, Jul 15, 2002.

1. elensil macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Do you think that Mac fans secretly enjoy being the few initiated Ones? Does being a member of Mac community give one a sense of belonging to an elite society? Would we be still so excited about Apple if Apple would have a market share of ~ 50%?
  2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    Like anything, the very nature of Apple and their products would change if the company were to all of a sudden increase their influence. Like a garage band that suddenly went pop-superstar on MTV, the very core of Apple would have to ajust to a new scale.
  3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    I like being one of the few, of course, I wouldn't mind if apple took over the whole pc scheme. At that point, I would be happy to say I was there before the rest of the world was. Hahaha Elitism!
  4. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

I know I like being a MacHead. I have Apple stickers on my Car and when I run into MacHeads, we both share a feeling of brotherHood. I'm sure that if Apple had a very large market share, I would be less exited about bing a MacHead. My Apple would become more of a appliance and less of a center pice of my geek life styal.

I probably wouldn't be here posting as much as I do ether. Im up to 800 posts now and have been a member from Jun 2001. I'm not as finatical as some of you new guys with 1000+ posts but... I'm a die hard MacHead

5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Are Mac fans enjoying their "Educated Minority" status

who cares about an elite society?

apple inc is a business

apple inc is in it for the money first, innovation second - and that's ok by me

50 percent market share would be great...and at this point, i would settle for 10 percent of the market;)
  6. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2001
    you make a good point about us feeiling like we are in the inside of something cool. if apple grew to have 50%, it would not be as unique.
  7. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    why do we need to be unique...let many others enjoy what we know is great computing:)
  8. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2001
    You ask why we need to be unique. Do we need to be unique? my original comment was inane. of course if apple gets more mainstream it will be less unique (by definition). Having said that, i am not sure i said we need to be unique. Wait, I am sure... i didn't. And i know you did not say that i did, but i wanted to say it for the record

good to see you again jeff, where have you been, or have i just been not following your "what kind of floss do you use" posts? seriously, you were missed