Are Mac users more relunctant to changes ?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Symtex, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    i've seen alot of threads in macrumous and i've notice that Mac users and more relunctant to changes. We are afraid that the mac platform becomes "Windomize" but if you read the "Two-button mouse" debate in this very forum, you will understand my point.

In my opinion, I think Apple can keep their differences that made them what they are but add to it what made Windows so popular. MacOs X is a great platform and Tiger sure is going to be even better. They need to bring more windows user to the other side by providing elements they will bring a level of comfort to switcher. The 2 button mouse ,if true, is a very good step but a little too late. They should have made the change when Mac OS 10.0 launched.

They need to bring more games to Mac platform. Establishing the platform as a gaming machine is one thing that Apple needs to do. 70% of all pc users play game. It sells hardware and software.
  2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    I dont use 1 button mouses, i always have used the microsoft expolrer 3.0 USB. I think its a good time to get a 2 button mouse.

Apple does not make the games, companys such as Blizzard amek them. Blizzard has always supported mac/pc game, i have no idea how they manage to get all that on 1 cd (warcraft 3) but they always do. Others companys dont release mac games and they will not untill they more people start buying mac games.
  3. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    And 76% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;)

Seriously, I don't think Mac users are afraid of change. I think Mac users adapt with what they have. If they start putting 2-button mice with Macs, then we'll use 'em. Until that happens, we'll ctrl-click til the end.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    People complain they don't like the Apple mouse and keyboard and want Apple to not charge them for it.

The Mini comes without a keyboard and mouse and people complain they have to pay extra for it.

No matter what, not everyone will be pleased.

The system works with the keyboard and mouse shipped with the machine, if you want something else buy what you want (then they want something that matches.) :rolleyes:

Of course in this day and age, it would probably be less expensive for Apple to include a rebranded generic Chinese keyboard and mouse like everyone else.

As far as the OS goes, Apple's been forcing people to change rather quick -- because new features, widgets, and doohickies only run on the newest OS versions.
  5. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    I've work with Pc all my life. They say they buy it for work related but after a few months, they are mostly use for games. When I told my friend that I bough a Mac computer, they all looked at me like I was from another planet.

Most pc users thinks that mac are only for "elitist @sshole". "You can't even play game", they say. I wouldn't mind apple spending more time with develloper to improve OpenGL performance. Blizzard is one of the rare company who believe in Mac platform.

Software sales hardware and that is a fact. The gaming industry is booming right now. Apple needs to jump on the bandwagon too.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm still disagreeing with your 'play games' numbers since I think it depends on gender and age. I'd only get to more than 70% if you included Minesweeper and Freecell in the 'games'. I know more people who edit movies on their PCs than play games on them - but from the sheer number of games sold, I appreciate lots of people do buy them.

Resistant to change - hmm, I think you may have a point. Tho I also think that most people will try something new before they decide to go back to the old way. Many people didn't like the Dock idea and wanted to keep the old Finder apps menu. There are still shareware apps that let people do this but I'd imagine most are now used to the Dock and many of those quite like it.

As far as the mice go, I use a 3 button/scroll wheel mouse at work - and used one at home for years with a Windows PC. The first month that I had my PB I had a 2 button mouse plugged in - now, I don't bother. I've discovered I like the one button system. My mother and sister (techno-illiterates) used to have trouble with right clicks (tell them to right click one and every time you told them to click afterwards they'd ask which one), now have Mac onebuttons and don't seem to have any trouble at all.
  7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    I would of thought mac users were more likely to change since we are always on the cutting edge of technology.
  8. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    14% of people know that. :D
  9. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think people in general don't like change, I don't think it matter's if it's your computer's OS, or the route you drive to work. People don't generaly like change. In my office, anytime I have to update a piece of software people freak out, "Is it gonna be differen!?", "Will I have to learn something new!?", "Will it still work the same!?". It dosen't matter what software it is, they just freak out and say they hate it and liked the old thing better.
    Now there are thoes people that embrace change and simply love it when something new or updated comes out, but in general I think they are in the minority. Even I don't like certain changes, but when it comes to my computer, I'm always looking for the bigger better newer, while my wife hates it when I change things on the computer.
  10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    argeed, almost everyone is reluctant to change, the minority in the world are those who appreciate, understand and change with a problem

it all depends upon a person's personality, it has nothing to do with aything else, it is human instant more or less that causes a person to resist change? why? because its a survival tactic, change brings in new variables and makes things less predicable... people dont like that

i tend to like change, but of course there are some routines that i get in the habit of as well, but thats just me...
  11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I use iScroll 2 to right-click with the trackpad. :D

42% of people use statistics incorrectly to prove a point.

"There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics"
    --Mark Twain
  12. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    Are PC users reluctant to change? Look at the back of a PC, look at all the ancient ports, the floppy drive in the front (I'm generalizing of course, these aren't in ALL PCs). Some people are afraid to change, some are not. I don't think which OS you use reflects any difference in this.
  13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    well there is a reason for the slowing evolution of PCs, its because there are so many that drastic changes take time, my parents got a new PC not that long ago, and they weren't sure how to transfer files, because there was no floppy on it, i had to get them a flash drive and explain how it worked.....
  14. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    This can also apply to the OS. A lot of people get WinPCs because "that's what everyone uses" and that's what they use at work. They don't know much about the alternatives.
  15. dsharits macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    It could be that PC users are actually anxious for change, because they're fed up with the problems with Windows and the PC world. Mac users already have a system that works, and therefore they don't see the need for change as much.
  16. JonoColesUK macrumors member

Jan 23, 2005
    London UK

However i don't see whats wrong with a two button mouse

I dont need one though i gave myself a right click with sidetrack! :D

17. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    To answer the OP:

1. As said by a couple of people above, Mac users are no more relectant to change than any other human.

2. There is no way that 70% of PC users play games. Maybe 70% of teenage boys. Most "average" PC users do nothing more than email and surf.

The one vs. two button mouse debate is so dumb it is sad that it is bar far the most active thread right now. The only thing dumber would be a thread that speculated about updated GPUs on the iMac, or one about a Powerbook G5...oh wait....

Man, all I do is lurk, and I need a break from this place I think.
  18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I think there is this tendency to try and assign certain characteristics to mac users. Not really sure wy everyone tries to do it. I bet if you took a survey of PC users vs. Mac users, you would find an equally diverse crowd.
  19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I gave myself a free one.
    iScroll 2 is the two-fingered scrolling like on the new PowerBooks but for iBook G4s and PowerBooks (depends on version). Its so damn cool. My 12"'s trackpad doesn't have enough room to dedicate some to Sidetrack so I use this..... and this is better. I miss it when on PC laptops.
  20. AstroManLuca macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005
    I agree that people in general are somewhat afraid of change. If you want to look at it from a computing or operating system perspective, then Windows users would appear to fear change more than Mac users. But in reality, the majority of people are just being sheep. They do what Microsoft or Apple tells them to do. It's just that Apple comes out with new stuff more often.

A Mac fanboy who chooses to ditch his floppy drive because Apple decided that Macs no longer need floppy drives is no better or worse than a Windows fanboy who chooses to keep his floppy drive because he's afraid of getting rid of it. I'm not saying all Mac users are fanboys or something, but I don't think they're especially different from Windows users either.
  21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    No, some of us are fangirls. ;)
  22. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    By nature I resist change, just never seems easy. Mac has made that process easier. With each upgrade I make the change. I will admit that I procrastinated with Mac OS X. Just left Mac OS 9 completely behind for X one year ago January. Haven't looked back.
  23. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I resisted changing to OSX as well for as long as I could hold out. It wasn't because I didn't want to, it was because all the essentials apps that I used weren't available for OSX. The third update to Jaguar was about the time I made the decision to switch over to OSX. Going back to OS9 feels like such an ancient operating system.
  24. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    if it ain't broken, don't fix it

I agree with the human nature arguments. My mom didn't want to get a new car, because she was used to her old Blazer, and now she doesn't want to get rid of the CRV. When people are comfortable, they don't want to change. That's why most people who switch to mac, are switchers for life, and buy a console to play games.
  25. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    I disagree

Most wintel people are the once that don't want to change, they say "but then it's different and I have to to lern something new". So then I say "stay with your missery as long as you don't complain ;)