Are macbook power adaptors covered in Applecare? Mine "ripped"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Jan 3, 2008.

1. macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi there,

I have a 13" macbook and my magsafe power adaptor all of a sudden stopped working last night. The light wouldn't light up. When I grabbed it to look at it, I saw that there was a small tear where the adaptor meets the cord. I really don't put the adaptor under much strain - I travel with my work PC, not my mac, so it doesn't even get stressed beyond the confines of my bedroom - i know i didn't rip this or anything. Do I need to buy another adaptor or if I take my "still in warranty" macbook to the store, will they replace the adaptor? Thanks!

-Kevin

2. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Technically, if it's due to accidental damage or rough treatment, it wouldn't be covered, but if it's a defect, it would be covered.

That said, there have been enough complaints about the design of the power adapter that you shouldn't have a ton of trouble getting them to replace it for you free of charge.

3. macrumors 68020

The adapter is defective, and a known fire hazard. Replacing it is the least they could do (which is precisely why they'll do it).

4. macrumors 6502

craigverse

They will replace it. It's a faulty design. I had my 17inch macbook pro adapter replaced 3 times. Finely I taped the end so it couldn't move and fray like it does. Good luck!

5. macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I have had my adapter replaced twice in six months. I must say it is one of the worst designed Apple products. My 3 year old VAIO adapter is much more rugged and durable. Who needs a white useless plastic brick when it just doesn't work. I'd rather have a conventional laptop adapter for my MBP rather than this industrial design piece of art that breaks every other month.

Ranting aside, yes it is covered under warranty. Return it and get a replacement.

6. macrumors regular

I was at the Genius bar the other day, and the person next to me brought their charger in because it "ripped". The genius said this wasn't really covered because it appeared to be due to user wear, but he went ahead and replaced it "because he was a nice guy." so take your chances and have a genius take a look.

7. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

mine burnt, started ommiting an oder(thats how i knew what happened) and is completely charded through the cord... im not even under applecare but they are sending me a new one.

8. macrumors regular

About 6 months ago, my power adaptor stopped working. I called Applecare and they replaced it no questions asked.

9. macrumors 68020

Good old Apple Store arrogance :^)

10. thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll give it a shot