Are MacBook Pro bugs ironed out yet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dpope, Sep 5, 2006.

1. dpope macrumors member

Hi All,

I'm not yet an Apple user (though I'm not a windows user either ;->) but I've had my eye on a MacBook Pro for a while now but I've been holding off because I read several reviews that suggested there were still some hardware issues like excessive heat generation, etc... The impression that I got was that it would be better to wait for the next generation of intel-based Apple machines which would incorporate all the lessons apple learned during its migration to intel. What I'm not sure about is what exactly this means. Are the new core 2 processor MBP that should be released (within weeks?) the "next generation" in terms of ironing out these bugs or do they only involve processor upgrades?

If not what would be the normal time scale for a next release? Does anybody know if these issues have already been cleared up in later releases of MBPs? Most of the reviews I read were for the first releases of MBPs.

I'm also vascillating slightly between a MacBook Pro and a MacBook. I can afford the former (barely) but my main concern in getting a new laptop is mobility: ruggedness, portability and long battery life. I'm not one of these on-the-go execs but my current laptop is a 17" magalith and I want something that won't give me a backache and that I can casually take with me to work or cafes. I also like high res. Is the MacBook significantly more portable (specs don't suggest so) or does it have a longer battery life? I'm not fond of the idea of giving up a high-end graphics card especially since I will probably dual-booting linux and want to run Xgl (for those of you who don't know about it I would recommend checking the video's at

http://www.novell.com/linux/xglrelease/

which are what the old version of Xgl can do - see http://www.compiz.net for new stuff).

Sorry for the long question. If you prefer to respond in an email feel free to.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There will always be issues with computers, no matter what brand you buy. Keep in mind that people come to these forums for help, so don't let that be the contributing factor to forming an opinion about how reliable Apple hardware is/isnt. For every person that has a problem, 100 others don't.

Macbook Pros will probably be updated on September 12- A new chip (core 2 duo with slightly higher clock speeds) and possibly a case redesign. Wait til then to buy.

I don't find the Macbook to be significantly more portable than the Macbook Pro. If you plan on trying XGL, the graphics card of the MBP would probably be a huge benefit.