Are MacBook Pro users jealous?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CaliforniaKing, Aug 5, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Aug 5, 2011
    The Macbook pro is stuck in a hard place right now, there isn't much of a performance difference between the Air and Pro, and the Air is significantly snappier due to the SSD. If Apple doesn't give it a decent dedicated GPU in the next refresh I really see no reason for it to stick around.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2010
    Resolution would be one reason to buy a MBP. I have a work issued laptop with 1440x900 resolution and find it lacking.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2009
    I think my 2011 MBA 11" i5 is great, but it's also having me appreciate my 2011 MBP 17" a lot more, too.

When I use my MBP 17", the computer's screen just seems more mammoth, now. Even without the SSD on the MBP, it's crazily fast. I always refer to the MBP as "the beast".

I have no nickname for my MBA, but "beast" doesn't come to mind. I think of it more as a... the little train that could, or something.

Basically, each device serves its niche purposes even better now, since the big MBP doesn't have to try and be my ultra portable, and the MBA doesn't have to struggle to be my workhorse.

You appreciate tools better when you use them for more defined purposes. A stapler can function as a hammer, but you appreciate it more when you use it to staple paper.
  4. macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2005
    In one word: NO

In more than one word: No way. I've got a 2011 17" i7, 2.2, Vertex 3 + 750GB spinny, 8GB RAM. It is hands down a much better and MUCH faster machine than the 13" i5 Air I just picked up.

The screen on the MBP is far superior to both the LG (CRAP) display in the first Air I got and still looks better than the Samsung screen in the replacement air. Also take into account the resolution- 1920x1200 is a nice resolution for multitasking. 1440x900 isn't bad, but it needs Spaces.

Speed: I don't know what Apple calls "instant on" but I notice quite a bit of lag between opening the lid and getting a login prompt on the air. The MBP is instant. That's not taking into account the faster and better processor (and 4 core vs. 2 core), twice the RAM, etc.

They are totally different machines for different jobs. I see the 17" MBP as a desktop replacement. It's a fantastic every day heavy use machine.

The Air is a lightweight occasional use machine- good for surfing the web, checking email, remote desktop into other machines, in bed, etc. It's probably going to be a good travel machine as well.

Just my $.02 on this question :) Both are good machines that complement each other well, but neither can do the same job as the other as well.

edit: sup 2011 17" + 2011 Air buddy
  5. macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2011
    What sort of title is this to Apple users. All of their products are bloody marvellous. No need to cause ripe between people is there?
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2011
    Are you referring to the Macbook Pro 13-inch specifically? The 15-inch and 17-inch versions of the Pro all have dedicated graphics cards; of course, the base-line 15-inch (for the price they're asking) should come with a better graphics card to begin with.

(Note also an SSD can be added to a Pro very easily, or a Pro can be ordered with one in it -- I guess for a premium price).

Anyways, I still considered the 13-inch Macbook Pro, because I was considering the 13-inch Air. If it was a 13-inch notebook I wanted, I would've gotten the Pro instead of the Air for these reasons:
    1) Runs cooler
    2) Superior screen
    3) True unibody
    4) Solid battery life (about the same I suppose)
    5) Disc drive
    6) More slots
    7) I simply love the look of the Macbook Pro

But those reasons hold on very thinly to my attention: I chose the 11-inch Air because it's simply my favorite Apple product.

What I will agree with you is this: The 13-inch Pro should come with a better graphics solution. Competitors manage it in laptops with the exact same thickness and exact same size: Apple should manage this as well. In our house we have two 13-inch laptops by Acer which are practically identical in size to the 13-inch Pro; one uses a 5650 graphics card, and the other uses a 6550 graphics card (the latter being newer and slightly superior in overall performance). Both computers use i5 processors, and are fitted with all the normal stuff (they run basically silent, they run cool or at hottest just warm). If a Macbook Pro 13-inch came with a 6550 graphics card (or equivalent), it would be a smoking deal. The 15-inch and 17-inch models should also follow suit from there, incrementally increasing the graphics power (which essentially they do, but currently I think their graphics offering is a little tame).
  7. macrumors 68030

Oct 6, 2008
    As a 2010 MBP user I guess I was, as I ended up with an 11" Air :D

But the 2011 MBP's actually have quite a bit better performance because of their quad core CPU's. Plus the dedicated graphics in the 15" and 17".

I guess those with a 13" might be, but that is because Apple is just being weird with the 13" (Better display, but worse resolution, no dedicated graphics).

I am going to be ditching my 2010 15" MBP once I can sell it as the air has everything I need...except for graphics performance. I am just praying for a thunderbolt graphics adapter to be released and compatible with the air, then it will be the perfect machine for me.
  8. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Put it this way: I put a 750 gb drive in my MacBook Pro. It's half full.

No way I'd survive on just a 128 gb or even a 256 gb SSD.
  9. macrumors 68020

Jun 16, 2010
    Nu-uh, my apple product is better than yours! In fact apple should just drop yours altogether because it sucks so bad compared to mine! My apple product is what all the cool kids are getting, yours is just stupid.
  10. macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2011

external hard drive

11. macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2011
    is this possible? i would buy one in a heart beat
  12. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Oh, I've got several of those. I've got a NAS too with a TB of storage. The reason I upgraded my MBP to the 750 GB drive (it originally had 120 GB, similar to the current MBA) is because I was tired of plugging/mounting external drives for some collections of files, or shuffling files off the drive to make room for others. 750 GB (I wanted a TB drive, but they didn't make one in 9.5mm form factor at the time) is enough that I can do what I need to do without worrying about whether I'll have enough space.

I'm thinking of getting a 13" MBA, and if I do, it will be a lovely travel/mobile machine. But it will not be the main storage location for my files -- which will continue to be kept on the network, in the cloud, or on my main workhorse computer, which will continue to be the MBP.
  13. macrumors 68020

Jun 16, 2010
    I know what you mean, that's why I plan on getting a time capsule, it also works as a wireless and I won't have to worry about plugging stuff in.
  14. macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2010
  15. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Oct 14, 2010
    Why would MBP users be jealous? ... they have the better laptop.

just being user up-gradeable on the Ram makes it better. :cool:
  16. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2010
    I have a mbp and I'm not. But I have an AIR too :O
  17. macrumors 601

Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    I agree! I'll trade you my ibookg4 for your 2011 Air. Oh, and you can throw in a couple of hundred bucks, just to keep things fair.:D
  18. urkel, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

macrumors 68020

Nov 3, 2008
    What makes people think that Pro users would prefer size over features and functionality? Thin is nice but if it comes at the expense of losing ports or usefulness then its a gimmick that a working professional could care less about.

I moved from an MBP to Air and while I am happy, it's a pain that I no longer can use my FireWire drives, I need to carry an ethernet Dongle and the 7200 WD Black drive I was using in my Pro is now a USB2 drive that eats up a USB spot on the Air. These are inconveniences that most Pros wouldnt want to put up with just because Apple convinced the consumer market that versatility is no longer important.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2008
    Dallas Metroplex
    I have a 15" MBP and my wife has the 13" MBA. Am I jealous? No, since the Air is fine for internet stuff but it doesn't have the capacity I need in terms of disk space or screen size for photo editing.
  20. macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2010
    I'm already considering a 13" MBA, but the lack of quality screen (like in the MBP's) makes it a difficult choice.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2009
    New York
    Bought the 11.6 2011 Air.......Liked it.....decided to try the 13.3 Air.......was ok. Returned the 13.3 for the 11.6. Then, decided to try the pro 13.3 (Which i am typing this on now)

So no...I'm not jealous. I am thinking about my final decision for the 11.6 though:rolleyes:
  22. macrumors member

Jun 20, 2009
    you may not be jealous but you definitely are not satisfied. The 11.6 i7 is the best laptop apple has made. So much power in such a small form factor.
  23. macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2011
    its hard to compare the two machines as the tasks each perform are for different needs. apples and oranges. the mbp offers people a portable workhouse to do jobs needed on the go. the mba is the ultimate portable, allowing people to move about with ease. the mbp can be easily upgraded with ssd and with a dedicated graphics card, can pull more punches than the mba.

to be honest, if my mbp didn't die back in feb, i would have ignored the mba i have now. both are great machines to perform the tasks that they were built for.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Nov 14, 2010
    The 15" and 17" MBP are powerhouses that will smash the Air.
  25. macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2006
    I have the most current high-end MBP and I am a bit jealous. Mainly jealous of the SSD speed and form factor.

Obviously, I can't have it all because a form factor MBA with a 500 GB SSD and dedicated GPU wouldn't exist :D

Both machines have give-and-takes.