are macs cheaper to run?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 748s, Jul 3, 2002.

1. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

it would appear that gartner, the company that did the recent research into the mac/pc costs are not happy with the result they came up with. apple australia paid gartner to research the overall costs of the mac and pc labs at melbourne university. as we all know the gartner research showed the macs are 36% cheaper to run. it seems that gartner were happy to take the money for doing the research but expected that the results never be released. the results were released and gartner have had a huge spit about it. so big, apple australia have fired the corporate affairs manager. so what is going on? do gartner do paid research and create a result to suit the client? or do gartner want to keep the whole thing quiet so as to not upset their other clients ( pc companies)? and wtf are apple au. doing firing employees? here is a link to a story about the research http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,4558411^15423^^nbv^15309,00.htmlh
    and if you scroll to the bottom of this link you'll see the latest on the incident
    http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,4602132^15423^^nbv^15309,00.html
    :confused:

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

looks like someone stuffed up, and Apples corporate affairs manager had to pay for it.

3. 748s thread starter macrumors 6502a

748s

i'm thinking the credibility of gartner is in the spotlight over this.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i reckon they did some dodgy surveys or whatever thinking that it wasn't supposed to be public. and now it is public - they're busted. you'd be pretty upset as well.

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

6. TypeR389 macrumors member

I actually read an article about this on news board somewhere, and I don't think it is as bad as it sounds. From what I read, the report was release without authorization from Gartner, which is VERY different that Apple asking and Gartner saying no. Companies like apple and Gartner has VERY strict non-comptete and non-disclosure agreements, and violation of something like this is definitely an offense big enough for termination.

I will see if I can find the article I read about this...