are macs too sexy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dudewheresmymac, Jan 31, 2004.

1. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

i was walking thru my local Apple Store when I stop to look at laptops. I had already decided that i was going to get an ibook for school. However, one look at the powerbook 12 and i was hooked. It was just too damn sexy, the ibook looked like a childs toy next to it. Now i really want to get a Powerbook even though i cant afford it. I kno that an ibook will be just fine for me and will save me some moneys. But i find myself drawn to the powerbook. Is it just me or are there others out there with the same problem.

2. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

macs are definitely sexy. especially the mouse. it's a shame it's only a one button...but still, it's very sexy.

3. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Re: are macs too sexy

Ahhh... form over fucntion/need...but in this case the form is part of the function, no?

4. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

There's no such thing as too sexy, and Apple knows it.

Resistance is futile. ;)

5. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

Apple is sexy and they know it. You how they are when there sexy and they know it.:p

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Powerbook is definately sexier than an iBook. I mean brushed aluminium vs. the White plastic, or whatever it is that scratches...not even close. I laugh at all the PC laptops that just look crap. Every time I look at my 12'' PB, I think dam that is one sweet laptop. The envious look you get when you pull it out in a coffe shop or library is great as well. iBooks are still cool though. Don't fret it if you don't want to spend the extra money, its still a great computer.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

From a different perspective, though, since the iBooks have gone G4 it just seems to me that the G4 in the PowerBook has its days numbered - especially with the 90 nm G5 making its debut in the XServe. For $500 more on the base price you can get a 12" PB over the 12" iBook, gain 200 MHz clock speed and a few other things, but it doesn't seem to me to make all that much sense to buy one right now. Especially with the potential for an upgrade to a newer processor soon.

Aesthetics aside, no matter how good the computer looks, its only really as good as how well you use it. :D

D

8. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Both are sexy and you know it...so why not clap your hands and buy your iBook. You'll be happy before you know it and you'll certainly want to show it. ;)

10. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Gee, I always thought Mac users were sexy. A woman with a Powerbook . . . gotta love it.

11. macguymike macrumors 6502

Re: are macs too sexy

Off topic, but I dig your user name. :)

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that it is their one button simple nature that makes them so sexy!

What would be really cool is if Apple would incorporate a little touch sensitive scroll deal seamlessly into the design!

Anyway, I would not buy a PowerBook right now as they are just on the verge of something big. I bought the 1.25Ghz 15inch AluBook 2 days after they were announced. I am however considering selling it and upgrading to a G5 PowerBook if/when they are released.

Fortunately, Macs do a great job retaining resale value. I spent $2100 on mine with a few BTO downgrades and Edu discount. I think that I'll be able to sell for at least $1800-$1900. Meanwhile, a friend of mine spent $1400 on a Windows laptop at about the same time, is already looking at upgrading and is hoping to get $900 for his.

13. An_Apple_A_Day macrumors newbie

Not only are Apple products functionally awesome, they leave all of the other manufactures in the dust on a design level. They ARE sexy. Gives me a chub anyway.

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

No doubt PowerBooks are sexier, but iBooks still beat all the PC crap out there.

15. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i had exactly the same problem when i went to buy my first apple. i thought the ibook will do me fine but then you look at the powerbook and find that your wallet is far thinner when you leave the shop than you thought it would be when you went it. however, i dont regret it at all. any one who see's my powerbook when i have it out or on my desk and all you get is envious looks!

16. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    your darn right theya re sexy!!!! wouldnt have it any other way

17. Mac macrumors member

Mac

Women dig PowerBook

Brushed aluminum vs. white hard plastic..

Hey, what a choice, ayeh!

If you put your hands on a Powerbook and then afterwards put them on an iBook see which one has the heaviest sweat marks. The one with the least is the winner.

18. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Damn right!

You're damn right Macs are sexy. I have a 15" Alu Power book, and I've never even thought twice about it. I do agree with the other guy about how they retain their value. I just bought a apple keyboard for it so it can sit on a desk better, and why did I get an apple keybard for it? Because the white and clear apple Keyboard is just so damn sexy. I do however plan on selling this when a G5 comes out. I don't know why people havn't mentioned this , but look at the screen quality diferences between the powerbook line and ibook. The powerbook screen is much more crisp and defined. Same with the laptop keyboards.

19. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

for carting around to school - get the durable plastic goodness of the iBook. You can drop it (just ask my ex about this) without denting it. the PB may look sexier, but she ain't as durable as the good ol' iBook.

it's your classic high maintenance city girl sex appeal versus the good ol' country girl reliability.

for a computer, i go for reliable.

for a girl... i have recently been quite lucky.

20. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

lol

ROFL

21. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Macs, too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt....;)

22. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

AMEN to that!:D

You'll be happy with either one. If you can afford the PowerBook, great. If not, the iBook is great.

23. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

one reason to be very happy with buying an iBook over a PowerBook: Airport reception is way better in iBooks than PowerBooks. I have both and I've compared them side by side. (12" 867MGz PB G4 and 12" 900MHz iBook G3).

but built-in bluetooth also rocks... so either BTO the iBook G4 or go for a PB and be happy. the wireless keyboard and mouse are great.

24. EK03 macrumors member

get a refurbished

PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/Combo/E/12"TFT - Refurbished
    $1,199.00

from apple.com