Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZuneMan?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Apple Store
I've been thinking of getting one but I've been put off by all the comments about magnets being bad for devices.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
No affect whats so ever. Its all good. Keep in mind Apple made these magnetic cases specifically for their devices.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've been thinking of getting one but I've been put off by all the comments about magnets being bad for devices.

I think magnets would be bad if there were hard drives in the devices like there used to be. Since they use solid state/flash now, it shouldn't be a concern.

pingfan59

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
the only downside is some minor scratching when dust sneaks between the smart case magnet strips and the iPad. Other than that, works like a charm.

I use the Smart Cover when I am not using the Zagg Profolio+ keyboard case

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
If a device uses a traditional spinning disk then magnets can kill the disk. The iPod classic is an example of a device that if you take two magnets and put them on either side while it is in operation, you can pretty much bet that it is toast.

The solid state memory in other devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch/nano) is not subject to magnetic damage. The bits in solid state memory are manipulated with electricity, not magnetism, so running a magnet across them has no negative effects.

The only negative impact an unshielded might have on an iPad would be a possible reduction of signal (BT, wifi, cell data), but I'm not sure even that is a concern...

Basically, if you want to get a big fat magnet and stick your iPad to the fridge - Rock on. You have nothing to worry about with the case

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Look it up on iFixit, he dissects a Smart Cover to see how it works. The iPad has magnets built into it for just this exact purpose.
Magnets are only really issue when it comes to spinning HDD drives, because it can and will knock the needle or platter out of alignment which is obviously bad. I don't believe SSD's are effected at all, which is what is technically in the iPad.

azguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
That is all kinds of wrong...

Look it up on iFixit, he dissects a Smart Cover to see how it works. The iPad has magnets built into it for just this exact purpose.
Magnets are only really issue when it comes to spinning HDD drives, because it can and will knock the needle or platter out of alignment which is obviously bad. I don't believe SSD's are effected at all, which is what is technically in the iPad.

The reason magnets are bad for spinning hard disks is that data is recorded magnetically on the platters and a strong enough magnetic field can erase the data and/or "flip bits"

To actually pull the heads or platters out of alignment would take a magnet on the order of the one used in Breaking Bad to erase Walt's computers.

BTW: Apple uses magnets in the lids and power connector of their macbook pros, so realistically the danger is low

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
To actually pull the heads or platters out of alignment would take a magnet on the order of the one used in Breaking Bad to erase Walt's computers.

Just for the record, these are what killed my friend's iPod video a few years back. I don't know if a 3.5"/2.5" disk would be affected so easily, but I would wager that if the disk is in use it would be toast.

http://www.paramountzone.com/magnetic-buzz-balls.htm

Attachments

• 279_1.jpg
    279_1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,669
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.