Are more soldiers needed? What's the mission?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Dec 30, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Clovis, California
    Seattle Times

I think SGT. Josh Keim said it best. :cool:
  2. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    The mission is to save Bush's legacy and the oil fields as far as I'm concerned. Nothing else makes sense at this point. Now that Saddam is dead, it's gonna get a lot worse.

Oh wait, sorry. Democracy is suddenly going to appear in Iraq, and all will be well.:rolleyes:
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Driving around with no mission but presenting themself as nice big American targets for Both sides..........Bush being brilliant once again for those WMDs that Iraq didnt have.
    The Mission in Iraq is to stand around until Iraq gets over its civil war of a thousand years?
    Whatever happened to Osama the "real" 911 guy?
  4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    I asked my brother about this after his first tour (he's infantry). He said that it's not the amount of troops, but that they don't know who the enemy is. They have no idea who will attack them.
  5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    Seems to me the mission of the post-combat phase is unchanged: Create a stable government in Iraq that's friendly to the U.S.

It's obvious that the methodology hasn't worked. Lord knows, that's been thrashed out here umpteen times.

Hindsight shows that those who advised Bush to wait until more troops were available before going into Iraq were correct--but that's been obvious for quite a while. Those additional troops might have enabled better control of the borders with Syria and Iran. Maybe.

Given the present situation, I pretty much doubt that just adding numbers will be all that helpful.

I'm not anywhere near sure that a stable government for a single-country Iraq will be possible, for that matter. Too much polarization, looks like.

6. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    the mission is to create excuse for putting more troops there.
  7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I think the mission is short term domestic US politics. The mission in Iraq has never been a priority.