Are my speakers connected properly?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by p0intblank, Apr 25, 2006.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    I just got a new Logitech 2.1 audio system for my PowerBook (specs in sig). I first had them connected through the external speakers output on my PowerBook, but wasn't receiving any sound. I looked up help in Apple's help viewer and it said to connect them through the headphones jack instead. I did this and am receiving sound. It sounds great, but is this the way they're supposed to be connected? What is the other output for then? Thanks!

And no, the speakers weren't showing up in the Output menu under the Sound pane.
  2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm not an expert at speakers and such, but could it be that the PowerBook's "external speaker" connector was optical/digital and your speakers are not?

The headphone port (afaik) outputs analog sound, which is used my most speakers and headphones.
  3. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    You have them in correctly.

The connections are...
    One combined optical digital input/audio line in
    One combined optical digital output/headphone out
  4. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Cool, thanks! One problem, though... or maybe it's just me. The audio sounds sort of muffled in a way, like the treble could be higher. The remote that came with it only has controls for main volume and the bass level. I just know a lot of my music sounds better than this, especially when listening to piano (Final Fantasy soundtracks mostly).

I can also notice the muffled sound in the sound effects you hear when IMing in iChat. The treble sounds like it could be higher. Any recommendations on tweaking?

Thanks again!