Are OSX discs that come with macbooks married to the macbook they came with?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dubels, Aug 13, 2006.

1. dubels macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    Are OSX discs that come with macbooks married to the macbook they came with? I am asking this because my macbook didnt come with the OSX disc but my friend has one that he got with his macbook.(got my macbook used) Is each disc registered to each macbook? Or can I take his disc and use it and get a clean install?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    They are married to the model number of the machine (not the one on the box, but the OS machine number) -- as long as they are basically the same machine, it should work.

aka, MacBook 1,1 MacBookPro 1,1 MacPro 1,1 etc.

As far as your machine, call Apple for a replacement DVD ... may be around $20.
  3. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    ^^ WHUH?

Apple didn't provide me with my OS X DVD (MB) either. So can you use the DVD supplied by the iMac to fresh install into the MB (or any other Mac) legally? Or will it reject it completely?
  4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Apple didn't give you an install DVD? That sounds highly unlikely...
  5. gman71882 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Houston, Tx
    No: Any Macbook install disk will work with any other Macbook of the same type.
    If you have an installer disc from Another Computer(Mac Pro, or Intel IMac) you might have issues.

Go ahead and run the installer
    if the DVD wont work the system it WONT let you run the installer. You'll see an error message saying it cant be installed on this machine.

In the older Powermac G4's this was a big problem. The Quicksilver and mirror-front Powermacs had weird system buses so they needed a special install CD for OSX.
  6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    Actually, it wasnt the bus. Almost all G4's had a firmware block that prevented them from starting up from an install disk that was made for another computer model, and/or one that contained an earlier OS version than that which was installed on it at the factory........later builds were no problem, neither were retail (non-oem) disks :p

So, if you had an OEM install disk from a QS, it would work on a sawtooth, but NOT the other way around. And the iMac G3 disks would not work on a MDD........
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The DVDs are keyed to a Mac Model number, anything for a MacBook1,1 will run on any of those machines ... but it won't work with a MacBookPro1,1 or MacPro1,1 etc.

Hadn't looked at them in awhile ...

Usually inside the OS like Leopard, Apple will include a new model number -- depending on how they designate the number it's always easy to see how much the next machine will change.
  8. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

Sep 8, 2005
    London , UK
    Also you cant install a earlier OS than what came with your computer.

So if your computer came with 10.4.5 , you couldnt install 10.4.4 on it, for example.