Are Pages documents compatible with Word?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bense27, Sep 23, 2006.

1. bense27 macrumors regular

My dad wants me to make him something in Pages. If I send it to him, would he be able to open it in Word?(he has a Dell)

Or is there a way I can save the Pages file as a word document?

Thanks

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You can save your Pages files as Word documents easily enough – go under File/Export and select the Word option.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

According to Apple you can save as a Word document from Pages. This won't be the default document type though...

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

If your Dad only needs to be able to read (and not modify) the document, why not save as a pdf?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or save it in .rtf (rich-text format) which just about all word processors can open/read/edit

6. bense27 thread starter macrumors regular

7. ddekker macrumors regular

word/pages

saving as .rtf has a few benifits, as far as I know it can't carry and macro virus (I know virus is a windows thing) some corporate mail systems are starting to filter Word documents due to their ability to do bad things once they are behind the corp firewall

8. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

I've some oddities going between Pages and Word. I think a Pages template document looked a little mangled in Word (I can't remember specifically why). My main point of reference, however, was opening a Word document (created in Word:mac 2004) with tables that contained images in the cells (screenshots). When the document was opened in Pages the table cells were all very short and it turned out that the problem was that Pages was treating the images as backgrounds in the cell rather than as block object that it should size itself to.

In answer to the question, yes, you can export Pages documents in .doc format but don't be surprised if it doesn't look 100% correct.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Perhaps its because Pages has a tremendous amount of page-layout features that Word doesn't even come close to.

If you're doing a simple word processing document, then Word will open it fine.

But using a super complex Pages template and converting it to word makes about as much sense as converting a QuarkXPress or InDesign document to Word.

Microsoft Word is not a page-layout app. It is a very powerful word processor, intended for many pages full of text, nothing more.