Are PowerBook keyboards interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by McBain, Apr 25, 2004.

1. McBain macrumors member

Dec 24, 2003
    I'm sure this has beek asked before, but a search brought up nothing. I'm considering buying my first Mac, and I want to get a 15" PowerBook.

There's a problem though: I can't stand the layout of the UK keyboard. The Return key is way too weird looking. I've been using US keyboards my whole life and I have no intention of changing now if I don't have to. I'd like to buy a US keyboard and simply use that instead. Would this work? Can I just pull out the UK one, put in the US one and make a few software keyboard layout changes?
  2. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    I think it's possible, but it would be a pain. And that's if you can find somewhere to purchase a US keyboard. Could you simply buy a US powerbook?
  3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

It might be possible, however I'm not sure if the power draw would effect anything between a US and UK KB, I know Europe uses a slightly different voltage with their products, however I'm not really sure. Make sure if you try this don't get a KB from a previous model aka the TiBooks the KB is different! Also be cautious with the new KB's as well because Apple may have altered them from one rev to the next.
  4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I'm sure its the same size and connection, but I think it would be easier (and probably cheaper) to buy a US Powerbook.