Are Powerbook keyboards universal?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacDuff, May 10, 2003.

1. MacDuff macrumors regular

Does anyone know if I can mix and trade powerbook keyboards? They're all the same size and a friend told me he switched his ibook keyboard with his black powerbook keys, also with his old Pismo keys. Does anyone know if the 15'' black keyboard is switchable with the new silver keyboard on the 12 and 17''? I'm sure it's either yes or no.

if yes does anyone know where I can buy them induvidually? my black keys are jacked to the bone.

thanks

2. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I'd say no. I am pretty much sure that the 12" keyboard can't be lifted out all in one piece, like to put RAM upgrades in. And the 17" might have problems because of its unique backlit keyboard.

It might be possible, but I would tend to think not. I might certainly be wrong though.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Absolutely not, you can't even change the keyboards in different revisions of the TiBook, the connectors are different, the anchoring points on a alBook are different, they don't come out on those little tabs, you have to take the whole thing apart and disconnect the fibre-optics etc.

You'd need to go to a dealer and get a new keyboard fitted, they won't sell you a new one, even though it would take 2 minutes to change.

Actually, they might sell you a set of keycaps, give that a try.

4. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

I can confirm that switching k/b's isn't as straightforward as your friend makes out. However, some are interchangeable.

I've never seen a definitive list of what can and cannot be switched, and what is compatible with what. Like WinterMute said the connectors and the like are very different across the board.

If you're looking for customizable keyboard options you might want to check out these guys...

5. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I'll check out that site out Celaurie and see what they got.

WinterMute - what exactly do you mean 'get a new keyboard fitted?' I'll try and see if they can sell me the keycaps, maybe that's the answer. Thanks a bunch.

6. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

If you need pieces of a powerbook keyboard, you might want to email the people at http://www.powerbookguy.com. I have ordered small replacement pieces from them before and they sell keys and parts of the construction under the individual keys. I have a Wallstreet powerbook that had 3 sticky arrow keys because the yellow rubber things under them had broke and he sent me a pack of new ones which fixed the problem.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Apple don't seem keen on supplying parts to anyone but a reseller, so if you took it to one, they'd supply and fit a new keyboard. Cost you though.

I'd forgotten about http://www.powerbookguy.com./, they should be able to souce a new set of keycaps, don't know about a whole keyboard though.

8. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Oy!? Do you see a capital on my nick? Reeespect to da name.

Heh. Hope the site was of some use...

Chris, Use it don't abuse it

9. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

I'll check them out for a replacement '9' key.

Fanx.