Are PS2 games 5.1?

Discussion in 'Games' started by yg17, Apr 9, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm going to buy a home theater system in the next month or so. The one I'm looking at has 2 digital inputs. Optical and coaxial. I'm going to plug my PMG5 into the optical one. But I also have a PS2, which only has an optical out. Are PS2 games dolby 5.1? Because if they are, then I'll want to buy an optical to coaxial converter which is about 30 bucks, plus another 30 or so on cables. But if the games aren't 5.1, then I'll save 60 bucks and just use the analog RCA cables. Thanks

2. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

PS2 games are nearly all Dolby Digital, not always 5.1, but most of the time are. Others are Dolby Prologic II, even better.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

So it would be worth it to spend the cash on the cables to convert the PS2 optical to coaxial then?

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Most of the time PS2 games are just Dolby Surround, which will be fine with regular coax cables. Some are Dolby 5.1 Digital in cut scenes however, and a few others use DTS to do 4 channel surround (which requires a DTS tuner).

A mixed bag really, I wouldn't recommend spending 60 bucks for the few games that really utilise a digital audio connection.

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Dolby Prologic II is worse than Dolby Digital, and works over analog cables, so I don't really get the "even better" comment here.

6. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

Even better because he could use it with the regular cables, but he would need a decoder of course. I suggest you dont spend $60 in cables. Buy a nicer amplifier instead that would integrate DTS, Dolby Prologic II, and of course Dolby Digital (and then you wouldnt need a $30 converter and you would have nice stuff for movies as well)

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye I always thought Pro Logic II wasn't as good. Then again I haven't noticed any sound difference with my Xbox and GC?

8. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

As far as i know, the PS2 isn't technically capable of real time dolby digital encoding, so i guess that you are better off with the rca cables for now.

As mentioned earlier, dolby digital is used only in the cut scenes of some particular games (like Metal Gear Solid).

9. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

If the game Says Dolby 2 on the back, it means it will give u 5.1 surround or 7.1 or 6.1, whatever you got

but
    its also not true. its does a job of faking it and emulating. The avg. user wil prolly never tell but there is a diff.

10. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

yes, but just like that, the only "true" formats the PS2 is able to decode are Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS, where you will also need an amp (and DTS is rather expensive, but way better...). Dolby Prologic II is not mentioned on the box, and I would tend to admit there is some cheap remixing that the "average" user wouldnt notice.
    I use my PS2 for DVDs and I think the playback is of top-class quality even if its 4 years old, both audio and video.

11. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

oh dont get me wrong, I think the decoding is just fine. I myself dont notice it either. Of course, it all depends on ur setup, are u using RCA cords or running optical out. What kind of speakers, recievers etc.

12. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

Yes:)
    I personally use optical out, DD5.1 decoder, Yamaha active speakers and Sub. So it does indeed sound good.

13. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Yamaha....yummmieee and optical out, even better ;)

When I was at my parents house, I had a similar setup except their setup was with all Onkyo stuff and it sounds alot better then my $400 Logitech 5.1 setup now :D but it works for now hahaha

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

there are a handful of games that use the dts and DD capabilities of the PS2 in cutscenes only. No descrete-channel surrround sound on the PS2. Some things have "fake" surround.

In my case, everything I own except my computer that's plugged into my receiver has a toslink connection, and they all use it more than the PS2 can, so I prefer to just run the coax. Unless someone wants to buy me some more Python Toslink interconnects, I'll keep it that way. Not much point if there's no real surround processing going on.

I'd rather get 12 channels of HDTV in dolby digital than the occasional Final Fantasy cutscene...

15. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

but how beautiful ever FF cut scene is. <3 SquareSoft...Enix... :D

16. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

Onkio is very Hi-Fi orientated, I also had this, before i turned towards active system. Onkyo is way better to listen to low-level stuff than the yamaha, but then when you need a bit more power when nobody is around and you want to make some noise, then it's not enough...

Logitech...Let's say they are better at mouse-manufacturing than good speaker manufacturing...:):p

17. beachesandmusic macrumors newbie

A few PS2 titles offer in-game DTS sound. A few others do have Dolby Digital 5.1 in CG movies. Most games are Pro-Logic 2.

I'd say the digital connection is worth it for the increase in sound quality. If you're playing SOCOM 2 or 3 in Pro-Logic 2 on a good sound system, it can really sound like theres an actual battle going on in your house. Explosions WILL shake the walls, your couch, your liver.. haha. But over an analog connection, the quality is lost. The PS2 has an awesome SPU, despite not having a hardware DD or DTS encoder. It'd really be a shame to not take full advantage of the PS2 sound capabilities. The sound it puts out is really good, despite not having a DD encoder. Of course, one reason it sounds so good could be that it's NOT using a lossy, time delayed codec like Dolby Digital ;)

I hope the PS3 can put out 5.1 or greater over an ANALOG connection. I know I just went on about the benefits of digital for PS2, but this is different. In the case of DD and DTS decoding, the quality is degraded and a delay is added into the signal. An analog multi-channel connection would provide a real-time signal with no lossy compression. Real-time Dolby Digital and DTS compress the sound in an MP3 style fashion and the compression adds a slight delay in the sound compared to what you see on screen. But the PS2 is only doing stereo/Pro-Logic 2, so it's better to send the raw digital signal from the PS2 to your receiver for processing.

DTS decoders aren't expensive anymore. It's highly unusual for a receiver to not have a DTS decoder these days.

18. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

pretty much what everybody has down for the PS3 Sound Spec is

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is that Sony hyperbole in action? for unique sounds? How exactly is a sound unique, if they mean generation, pitch shift and tone generation then that's been done for years :confused: I'm confused that an official source, assuming it is, to make such a silly remark.

Does Core Image mean I can have unique pictures?

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sony claimed at E3 2005 that since the Cell is really good for sound processing it could theoretically handle hundreds/thousands of sound channels at once.

21. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

you just cant stand not to bash on every sony topic. its awesome.

Well how bout this, the minute the Revolution or 360 cant do that, it makes that a unique feature dosent it now?

22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Actually I was wondering what the heck they meant too...

23. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

well the idea with the 7 cores is (6 being usable) is that each core is dedicated to doing a task.

For example Core 1 Physics
    Core 2 visuals
    Core 3 texture
    core 4 sound
    etc.

that being, its much easier for the unit to render when it needs to and produce the quality that its suppose to, instead of a single core doing everything at once.

24. beachesandmusic macrumors newbie

PS3 can play SACDs too. So maybe we could see the PS3 use that engine for games.