Are restore disks Mac Specific?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by szsiddiq, Nov 13, 2006.

1. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Im fairly sure the are, but one member here is trying to convince me they arnt and wants to sell me his restore disk for his Mini (i need em for my powerbook).
    In either case id prefer a OS X tiger DVD, but would still like to kno.

2. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Don't waste your money. Mini disks won't work with your powerbook.

I say this having tried to use powerbook restore disks on an iBook, in the past. If I'm wrong about your situation, I'm sure someone will jump on the chance to point it out.

3. szsiddiq thread starter macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

im fairly sure ur right

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Yes, 99% of the time, the restore CDs or DVDs that come with your Mac will ONLY work with the Mac model it came with. So for example, PowerMac G5 Restore DVDs will ONLY work with the PowerMac G5, and it may even be as specific as it will only work with a particular PowerMac G5 Model, which is probably true as well.

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I bought my mbp and used the disk to install iLife 06 on my pm. I had to use pacifist but it worked, i guess you could copy the the install packages and everything else needed to a different dvd. That might be illegal though and I'll stop right there.

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Pretty sure that would be illegal.

While I'm sure Apple Legal would overlook using a mini disc to restore a PB (if it were to work and it wouldn't) its wrong and you shouldn't do it. If your running Panther and looking for Tiger that would be an even bigger problem because you've basically just saved yourself a couple hundred bucks (at Apples expense-sort of).

I wouldn't try if I were you. I once tried to restore an eMac with an iBook disc and it messed it up quite a bit. Had to format it in t/disk mode. Quite messy. Apple will send you replacement restore discs at a relitivley reasonable price.

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Not to mention that you could probably get some on eBay for a fair price as well. Just make sure you get the correct ones.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Well, the word on the interwebs is that if you launch the computer you want to install onto in Target Disk Mode and put the discs in the proper machine, it should work. I've never tried it, though, and don't plan on it...