Are s.ware developers Tiger-ready?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by toontra, Feb 13, 2005.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

Given the length of beta testing that Tiger has undergone, can we assume that most/all of the major s.ware houses will have made sure their products are Tiger-ready on it's release?

In other words, will the move to Tiger be painless? I presume that Apple's own pro apps (FCP, Logic) are OK, but what about Adobe, etc, and some of the smaller developers?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if it is like the release of 10.1, 10.2, 10.3...then yes, *most* developers will have patches ready in time for the release of 10.4 or very shortly thereafter - that's one of the reasons why Apple has their developer program that lets them get the software during development/alpha/beta stages. Of course, there will always be a few that get caught napping or run into unforseen problems getting their software ready...no doubt you will hear about those ones here within hours of 10.4's release...heheheh....oh yeah!

3. Logik macrumors 6502a

ya.. most should be.. you'll find those few (like me) who simply cannot afford to get an ADC membership to get Tiger early... i write software for my own benefit and will charge a simple $5 fee most of the time.. that hardly makes up for the $500 investment in an ADC membership... you shouldn't see many problems at all though since the "major" shareware developers should be able to afford it without much difficulty

4. Bear macrumors G3

In addition to Logik and da Duff-Man said, you will find that a lot of software will function without issues on Tiger. They just won't be taking advantage of any Tiger specific features.

Products that will be most likely to have issues are ones with device drivers and ones that used undocumented Mac OS interfaces that are subject to change.

From what I remember going from 10.2 to 10.3, I only had one or two minor pieces of softwrae that needed updates. And those updates were ready about the same time 10.3 was released.