Are sleeves neccesary if you have a bag?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yg17, Sep 9, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just got a 15" PB the other day and have a Targus Miami messenger bag on the way from Amazon. Is a sleeve neccesary too, or do bags provide ample protection? Thanks

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've never used a sleeve, just a backpack with a slot for a notebook. Sleeves definitely have a lot more padding, but as long as you're not handling the bag roughly, putting it in checked luggage, etc., it should be fine.

3. jsarrasinjr macrumors member

Bag should be fine

A good bag that is the correct size should be fine. However, I'm paranoid about my mac, so I have both.

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks. I'm leaning towards getting a sleeve though, as the bag I got holds 17" laptops, and I've got a 15 and need something to help fill the space so the PB doesnt move around. I may head up to my campus bookstore to see what they have.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

No rush. I believe the Targus includes spacers for a snug fit. Just wait until it arrives and see how it feels. It'll certainly be fine for a week or two.

6. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Yes I can concur, my Targus does have spacers, (for the bags that you lay flat and open up to place the whole laptop into, and not a messenger style "top-loading" "slide-in" design, if you get what I mean!!! :confused: )

I have a sleeve for my PB, it just helps keep it safe in and out the bag, incase something gets down the side of it or somethign daft, and it just provides a bit of extra protection which is always welcome. Also sometimes I won't be carrying my entire bag around and only my PB is needed - enter my sleeve!

Just on a side note, some people recommend getting some sort of screen protector for your PB if its in a bag etc, to stop the screen getting marked etc by the keyboard if it gets squashed a bit in a bag or whatever. I use the Radtech Screensaverz. :)

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have a PB sleeve from Radtech.us It wont provide any protection from say dropping it, but it does prevent scratches and such. I think its worth it.

8. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

A neoprene sleeve is fairly cheap so I think its worth having as well as a bag (I've got a Crumpler bag, and a Radtech sleeve which has got handles, which I find useful).

9. rose red macrumors member

Using a sleeve does give protection from loose paper clips, staples etc. It depends on the bag, so I agree with the advice to wait until you get it before you decide. I've got Crumpler The Gimp sleeve and a Merrell Pacific Satchel bag, very pleased with both.

10. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

With my Targus bag, I don't use a sleeve. But when I'm on a business trip and need to use a leather brief, then I use my sleeve (from BOOQ). Don't want my 15" PB to get damaged in the leather brief

11. dcv macrumors G3

Depends on the type of bag I suppose i.e. if there is a dedicated compartment that you won't be tempted to throw anything else into, then no, it's not "necessary", but i like my PowerBook to have extra protection with a Tucano second skin when i'm carrying it around.

12. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I definitely recommend a sleeve. I have an orange TimBuk2 sleeve, and I love it!! I wouldn't feel comfortable just throwing my PB in my bag, and my bag has ample padding!

13. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

A sleeve for your Powerbook is a must for added protection. Don't just get any old sleeve though, get something that offers shock proofing and is durable.

I have the STM Rebound sleeve which is fantastic.

Attached Files:

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd say a sleeve was more necessary than a bag. I have a Tucano sleeve and then I can toss the Powerbook into virtually any bag...

15. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I'd definitely recommend a sleeve!
    I have two bags that I often carry my 17" PB in... a backpack and my brief case. My brief case has a separate area for the laptop, but I want to ensure it is protected well... away from anything that might scratch it... coins, paper clips, pens etc.

Having a sleeve also allows me to just carry it around in the sleeve as well - which I do on campus often, or if I'm heading over to a mates house... I just put it in the sleeve and I'm away.

16. Redline13 macrumors 6502

If you tend to keep things in the bag that could rub agains't the laptop you might want to think about a sleeve. If not then I wouldn't worry. I suppose if your a real worry wart you might just wan to get one anyway.

17. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I'd go for it. The more protection the better. I have the Targus CityGear Chicago backpack which has a great notebook compartment but I still use a foofbag to minimize the possibility of scratches to my little baby.