Are the CD MBP a good comp...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by walleyealx, Oct 31, 2006.

1. walleyealx macrumors member

I've been hearing a lot of smack about the CD MBP ever since the C2D version came out.

I'm very interested in one of the refurb versions as they are such a great deal!

Any input will be appreciated!! THANKS!

2. robcts macrumors regular

why wouldn't they be? of course they're good. you're going to hear the same argument about the c2d when newer processors come out :)

3. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Where?! Let me at em!!! :mad: ;)

The CD MBP is great. I would postulate that you couldn't feel the difference between the two in an everyday scenario.

4. rstorm macrumors regular

It will be a great buy for you. The price difference is substantial on the refurb section. I have never had a problem with a refurb! There is always something better, faster, cooler coming out...if you need one now buy now or you will always be waiting for the next best thing.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The only thing you have to watch out for with a refurbished Mac: Apple displays the price you pay, and the price the item sold for originally. In the case of Core Duo MacBook Pros, the new C2D models are significantly enhanced. Even if they had no new processor, they would be significantly improved. So you should compare between refurbished and an equivalent new C2D, and take into account that C2D is about ten percent faster. So if you are looking at a refurbished 2.16GHz CoreDuo MBP, compare the price with a new 2.00 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP with the same features.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Also, the C2D books are the first 64 bit 'books that apple's ever shipped.

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I think the CD MBP are great computers. Are they worth what Apple is selling the refurb? Probably.

You are getting $550 off with 0.16GHz slower processor, 512 MB less RAM, and 40 GB less HD space, plus a slower DVD drive with no DL write.

There are other small things such as the heat issue. The new MBPs have better ventalation, FW 800 on the 15'', 64 bit, etc.

So its your call. But let the determining factor be what you need/want in your computer for what you are willing to pay. Do not worry about the quality of the computer.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The Core Duo MacBook Pros are great computers! Same as the C2D MBP, just slightly (probably not even noticeably) slower. :cool:

9. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I'm surprised nobody has asked what you plan to do with it? How long do you plan to keep it?

The CD will be fine for casual use for the near future, but the C2D is more expandable for more intensive work, and I don't think the 64bit angle should be downplayed. Leopard is supposedly all 64 bit. The C2D will be able to take advantage of this, whereas the older macbook pro won't.

10. budugu macrumors 6502

Yeah at $1400 they look very good. It is chance you can take even if you have one of the over heating whining, mooing ones ...

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

What exactly will the C2D be able to take advantage of?

12. furious macrumors 65816

furious

you most likely will not notice a difference in day to day use