Are the CVS One-Time-Use Video Cameras Mac-Friendly?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SuperChuck, Jul 4, 2005.

1. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Just saw the new one-time-use video camera at my local CVS Pharmacy today. Apparently, when you return the camera, they give you a DVD with the footage, plus software that allows you to share it, email it, etc.

Anybody know if the DVD software is Mac compatible?

2. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I'm not sure about the 'software' they include on the DVD, but the movie files will very likely be in a format (.mov, .avi, .mpeg, etc) that you will have no problem importing to iMovie/iDVD or simply copying to your hard drive.

I imagine the DVD to contain the software, and then have the movie file in a seperate folder elsewhere that you can just browse to and access.

3. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

There aren't any CVS stores around here, how much are the cameras? I'm trying to find someone to pick one up for me that I can take apart and mess around with.

4. SuperChuck thread starter macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Considering that CVS is based one town over from me (Woonsocket, RI), I would have heard about this earlier. I think I might check one out, and see if the quality is better than my parents Digital8 camcorder. Wouldn't be hard to do really, this camcorder is at least 6 or 7 years old now :eek:

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I wonder if you can make it into a regular camera. I know people who have done that with disposable cameras.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wow, I've never heard about this before. Just 30 bucks, huh? Might go and check it out sometime soon.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

$29.99 + $12.99 for processing = $42.98 for 20 minutes of 640x480 video. Doesn't sound like a good value to me.

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's good if you can somehow hack it to use over and over again. I wonder what it stores the video on....tape?

10. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, considering you can get a cheap $250 MiniDV camera and $5 tapes brand new, and way better quality than a disposable one, too. Plus you get a warranty and all.

Not worth it unless you're in a jam, didn't bring your camera, and absolutely need one at the moment.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

This might be a start. Seems to store the video on flash memory.

12. SuperChuck thread starter macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

I would mainly use it for risky situations/locations where I wouldn't want to risk a good camera. Perfect for the beach, water rides at amusement parks, etc.

13. Jsmit macrumors regular

These things don't have a zoom feature... it is point and shoot. Video recording in it's most simple form.