are the lastest mirrored door g4's still WIND TUNNELS?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andyjamesnelson, Aug 27, 2003.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

does everyone still refer to these computers as wind tunnnels? didnt they change the power supply or somthing, did that help alot with the noise? let me know, cheers andy.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

And I quoth from MacAddict:

"Apple claims that the enclosure is only half as loud as the latest, acoustically improved Mirrored Drive Door enclosures—and at first listen, we heard no reason to doubt them. The reason is simple: Carefully moving just the right amount of air slowly and with minimal back pressure over thermally isolated components results in a quiet system....

Airflow is guided by a molded clear-plastic shield that's revealed when you remove the enclosure's aluminum side panel..."

Proper citation:

Myslewski, Rik. "Welcome to the Future." MacAddict Sep. 2003: 20-25.

3. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

that sounds like the G5, but i may be wrong.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

The G5 is being described in the MacAddict article. My intent was to compare this with the disorganization and intensity of the G4 fans.

5. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah wtf? i am asking about the G4 not the G5!!! that quote above is talking about the G5 inclosure for sure.. anyway nevermind.. so is there anyone out there with a new isssue G4 with mirrored doors, if so how loud is it?

6. PieMac macrumors 6502a

It is the G5.
    I would also like to know if the latest G4's have improved noise-wise as I am considering the 1.25 Ghz (single processor).
    I did call Apple and was told by that the issue had been corrected but I would like to hear other opinions as well...anybody with a recent G4 care to throw in their two cents?

7. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

what did apple exactly say? like what was the issue in the first place? was it the power supply fans making loads of noise or was it somthing else? man i hope these computers are good.. or i will have to sell and get a g5:) still if this one is fat i will keep it get a laptop and wait for cheaper g5's, i recon where going to see speed jumps really soon.

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

www.g4noise.com

For all your G4 noise needs, questions and answers.
    I should go into advertising.

AppleMatt

9. PieMac macrumors 6502a

They really didn't go into a lot of detail. Just that Apple had addressed the noise issue and that it was the power supply fans which is why they offered the fan replacement program to G4 owners last year. Obviously they're never going to be "quiet", but they're as good as their going to get.
    I have a friend who has a 2 year old Quicksilver (744 mhz? Can't remember exactly...) and I listened to her's the other day. It wasn't obnoxious or anything...just a low "whir"...of course, the MDD ones are supposed to be the loudest.
    I'm still going back and forth between the G4 and low end G5. If I get the G4 I can afford to put the money saved towards the 20" display :) which is really tempting. If I go with the G5, it's the 17" display (or at least this it what I keep telling myself in an effort to have some self control!).