Are there any decent books for switchers from Windows -> Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danielbriggs, Sep 1, 2006.

1. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Hi!

Basically what the title said. I know I could do everthing on these forums, but as a reference books go, are there any anyone can reccomend for an experience windows user that is going to switch onto a Merom MBP (not that the chip makes a difference!)

I just don't get the whole cloverleaf thingy, when I do a "Win Key" +D nothing happens, how do I "cut" a folder??? just little things like that e.g. propperly maximising and keyboard shorts etc. just to get me up to speed.
    And that's only from playing on the demo model in the shop for 10 mins!

It feel's like it's a good system, but it's waiting for me to "use" it properly etc.

Any reccomendations? (UK shops/books please) or Amazon.co.uk

Dan :)

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

3. LastLine macrumors 65816

This book. The bible for switchers.

Honest, I still have it and use it regular even 12 months on.

Blimey - occurs to me that I've been using Macs for a year now :eek: Wow.

4. abbottpc.com macrumors member

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I also urge you to ask questions as response from current Mac users will prove beneficial.

Regards

6. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all, I've just orderd the 2 pogue books "switching to the Mac" and the "missing Manual"

A snap at £11 each!

Got the bag, got the mouse, got the book (in a day or two) just need the MBP Merom!

amac4me:
    But yes, I will keep posting my problems, (when I hit a brick wall with the book) as I think everyone would get fed upwith me keep asking "how do you right click" etc. (I think it's command click or something)
    anyway!
    Nice site amac4me, but i'm already convinced into getting one! :)

Slightly off topic, what CD's do you get with the MBP usually, as PC manufactures are getting dead tight now, i.e. no CD's etc.
    Just wondering!

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Right-click = control+click
    Cloverleaf thingy = "command", most Windows functions that use "control" are replaced with this key ie Copy = command-C.

The MacBook Pro comes with full restore DVDs for both the OS and the bundled software. None of this "make your own restore disc" malarkey.

There is no "Maximise," there is a "Zoom" that expands a window to be as big as it needs to be. Mac OSX is designed to work with multitasking as it's prime function, having a window open full-screen (though there's nothing to stop you manually resizing a window to do so, the program will remember it so you won't have to do it all the time) severely restricts your ability to multitask.

For example, say i want to copy an image from the internet into a word document - with Windows it involves a bunch of copying and pasting, minimising and maximising, with Mac OSX, you'd have the Word document open next to the browser window and you just drag the image from one window to the other. Piece of cake.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Macs come with restore media. The restore media is made for that model only and includes the current version of OS X, the current version of iLife, Front Row and PhotoBooth (on some Macs), and 3rd party stuff. The 3rd party stuff varies based on the machine you buy, ie. get an iMac or MacBook and you get games etc, get a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro and you get "pro" stuff. http://www.apple.com/hardware/ has links to all of the machines and includes a list of the included software (look for the Software part under Tech Specs).

9. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Lovely...

:)

I was getting annoyed with myslef in the shop why it wasn't maximsing properly (and didn't want to ask, lol!)

I'm learning already!

Like it :D

10. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Phew.. That's good then!

Because usually when I buy a laptop (PC one) for me or someone else. the usualy thing is: 1. Unpack 2. Format 3. Reinstall Windows 4. Install Office 5. Drivers 6. Printers ..... zzz...ZZZ...zzz

And I can only do that as I use my CD version of software with their new keys.

Oh well!

Time to change! (for the better!)

I like the fact, that if I mess up my MBP, then backup my data, insert the DVD and it's back as it was. None of this self formatting, up till 1AM finding drivers etc. etc.

Nice!

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ask away, that's why we're here.

Actually, search first, then ask. Might keep the crazies away if you search first, I don't mind answering the common simple questions so ask away.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No more hunting for drivers, they all come with it. No more 1am reinstalls, I've reinstalled once in two years because I wanted to see how it worked - took about half an hour to do a full reinstall and then another 10 minutes or so to index my HDD for Spotlight.

Software updates took an age though because of the pitiful speed of broadband internet down here in the wide brown land.

Here's the process:

1. Unpack.
    2. Follow set-up procedure and enjoy little video
    3. Away you go.

13. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice!
    Thanks for all that.

My question is, indexing, does is slow your system down, but makes searching quicker?

Is that all it does?

Ta!

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Slows it down for a little while at the start while it's doing it's thing. After it's done the indexing happens on the fly - there is no system slow down. It lets Spotlight search by all sorts of criteria - you can search for words and phrases in .pdf files, a god-send for me when searching through science journal articles off the net.

Instant searching, type in a word that you know isn't on the machine like "boondoggle" - nothing will come up, leave the search window open and save a file containing that word - the search window updates automatically.

It also lets you make Smart Folders that will contain files that fit a set of rules that you create, they automatically update so as soon as you make another file that fits those rules, a link to that file appears in the smart folder so you always know where it is.

15. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help!

I'm liking OS X more and more every day.. Even though I don't have it yet!
    Still waiting for the Merom!

16. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Amazingly enough, I just found a book at Books a million about macs and OS X. I am in the market for a mac and I thought I would read up on it before then.

I find the book to be easy to understand and surprisingly, I am not bored with it.

It is called: The rough guide to Macs and OS X by Peter Buckley and Duncan Clark.

ISBN: 13: 978-1-84353-553-9

Check it out. Maybe the local library will have it.

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you are convenient to your local Apple Store, they also offer free classes for those new to Mac OSX and tutorials for just about every application.

I was waiting for a pick-up at the Genius Bar and had a blast attending the free
    GarageBand orientation class.

It would have taken me forever to learn all those capabilites on my own.

Your local store should have a schedule of the classes they offer.

Apple also offers highly advanced training seminars for Pro applications.

Well worth it if you use your system to generate income.

18. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Any additional thoughts on these books, specifically for those new to Mac and/or Tiger?

1. The Rough Guide to Macs and OSX
    2. Mac OS X Tiger Killer Tips
    3. Mac OS X Tiger: In a Nutshell
    4. Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition
    5. Mac OS X Tiger: Missing Manual
    6. Mac OS X Tiger Pocket Guide (Pocket References)
    7. The Little Mac Book, Tiger Edition
    8. ...other recommendations...?

For example, any benefit of getting both of David Progue's "Missing Manual" books?

19. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

I settled for the 2 "missing manuals".
    "Mac OS X Tiger" and "Switching to the Mac" Both Pogue.

I know they overlap.
    But both really is a good combination. As The "Mac OS X Tiger" is like a big book that is worth a skim read and mainly as a reference for all things Mac et.c Where are "Switching to a Mac" is probalby more useful in day to day use. As it is like a big index. i.e. you look up the feature that you are use to with Windows i.e. control pannel. and it tells you all about the Mac equilivent andwhere / how / what etc. etc.

However, both books do both, but as a base, you can't go wrong with the "Mac OS X Tiger"
    And if your a switcher, tack on the "Switching Book" as well to aid the transition.

20. 2Shae macrumors 6502

Could have got it for free HERE
    ;)

21. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Sorry, but silly question... this is legal and no harm? :confused:
    If so... thanks!!! :)

Also, any thoughts on these books too?
    8. The Rough Guide to Macs and OSX
    9. Mac OS X Tiger: The No Nonsense Guide!

22. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

i use

i used the macbook for dummies - easy to understand interspersed with some nerd humor.

23. Stadsport macrumors regular

Here's the best advice I've ever heard for switchers:
    If you go into OS X expecting it to work like Windows, and trying to do things like you would in Windows, you're gonna have a hard time and probably be left unsatisfied and frustrated.

If you go into OS X expecting it to be a completely different operating system, you'll pick it up in a snap. After using it for 30 minutes I felt like a pro. :D

24. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Peachpit Press also has some good books including their guide to iLife '06 applications.

If you really want to learn any specialized applications, there are several good online and interactive DVD training series available.

Just Google Apple training.