OS X Are there any decent GBA emulators for OSX Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by swingin t's, Dec 11, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2012
    Hello everyone :)

I have Boycott Advance installed on my 2012 Macbook Air and the emulation is nearly perfect. Save states work. It works with a PS1 USB controller just fine. However, the sound is really terrible, it sounds weak and like static. Fullscreen works though!

I also have Visual Boy Advance 1.7.4 installed. Fullscreen does not work, it crashes every single time. The largest window size is 4x set in preferences which isn't big enough for me. But the sound is 100% perfect.

Is there an emulator that allows fullscreen and perfect sound under OSX Lion?
  2. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    I think MacBoyAdvance works, but I'm not sure whether it has fullscreen. I'm at work right now so I can't test it.

Be aware that it puts saved games into the Applications folder; I lost all mine once because I didn't keep that folder backed up!
  3. macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2012
    You can also try MESS. That emulates everything.
  4. macrumors member

Jan 28, 2009
    OpenEmu. Emulates just about everything, and has a fantastic UI. It's only available as source code at the moment, but all you have to do is download Xcode and the source code and click "Build" and you've got a working copy. Or I could provide the copy I built myself.
  5. macrumors member

Nov 4, 2010
    Galvatraz, TX
  6. macrumors 68020

Jul 2, 2006
    This looks very very interesting I will be watching this one, thanks you :)
  7. macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2007
    Wow that looks really promising, why haven't I heard of it before?