Are there any good 3D home plan programs for the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snooziums, May 1, 2004.

1. snooziums macrumors regular

Hiya

I love my Macintosh clone and would never think of giving it up. Plan to upgrade to Mac OS X soon. However, that means that a lot of my older System 7 programs will not work.

I really love a home designer program that I had, however it is not made anymore. I have look around for a new floor plan program, however they all seem to be for Windoze.

Is there any good home plan design software for the Mac anymore?

Please let me know. Thank you.

2. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

I'm not to familiar with any consumer market modeling / drafting packages for Mac, but there are quite a number of options (in the pro world)

I think that MiniCad is still around. It is simple to use, but not the most powerful.

Another option would be ArchiCAD. This is a nice package for doing fairly standard architectural work. It drawing in 3d and uses an assembly approach (if you draw a wall it has inner and outer claddings, insulation etc.)

VectorsWorks is great as a CAD package, an similar to ArchiCAD, but again is a little limited on the complex stuff.

My personal favorite for architecture is FormZ. Nicely done, fairly powerful modeler. It doesn't make things as simple for ArchiCAD for basic plans, but gives you a lot more freedom for stuff that is a more complex. As a bonus the rendering portions of the program are pretty solid (but take a lot of experience to get a great result) Longer learning curve, but far more flexible.