are there any good bluetooth digital still cameras?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by andiwm2003, Dec 4, 2004.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA

I'm in the market for a new digital camera. well, there are thousands of different models out there.
    i'm interested in a consumer point-and-shoot camera. the sony cybershot with 7 megapixel is about what i want.
    but i'd like to have the camera transfer pictures via bluetooth. i know, bluetooth is slow but that doesn't matter to me. i just don't want to set up all that cable stuff right next to where my pb happens to be (dining table, kitchen, living room).
    with my pda its just so convenient to sync from wherever you are.

do you guys know of any bluetooth enabled camera (a dock with bluetooth would be an option)?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No but I know understand your feelings re cables etc.

I bought a card reader to go in my PB's PCI slot - it stays in there most of the time and when I want to upload pictures, it's very easy just to slip out the memory card and slot it in. It wasn't expensive - less than £0 - and it makes me very popular on holiday when friends run out of space on their cards!
  3. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2004
    Hudson Valley NY
    I understand that there are a few cameras out there with bluetooth capability, but not too many. A google search would probably be productive as to this.
  4. Drinahn macrumors member

Jul 16, 2003
    Aussie in London
    Ah... I dreamed of the same thing recently when I was looking for a digi.. however.. ah.. I know you said you know it's slow.. um.. try.. *really* slow...

Shifting photo's from my T610 to my PBook over Bluetooth takes a painful length of time.. and they're tiny and completely useless photographs.

Waiting for 512 MB of 5MP photographs to come over USB from my digi takes *ages*.. over Bluetooth you'd be looking hours.. um. if not.. (tongue in cheek) aeons.. to transfer em...

I'm intending my next upgrade to be wifi capable or something.. of course as usual this is highly dependant upon someone making one.
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Actually, at least one exists. I saw a review of it on TechTV (just before Comcrap bought them and ruined everything), and they said it sucked. The specs weren't anything to post about, and transferring the pictures via Bluetooth was/is slooowww.
  6. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Dear God, you want to transfer 7 megapixel pics via Bluetooth!? I hope you're very patient, or taking very few pictures ... ;)

I know where you're coming from on the cables thing. In the next 2-4 years, UWB technology should start gaining ground. It will allow low power, high-speed (faster than Wifi) transfer over short distances. UWB technology would do everything that Bluetooth does, except at much higher speeds.

Until then, you might just have to deal with cables. :/
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Right now you just need to suck it up and go for a USB 2.0 camera. I once transferred a 20MB file to my Palm via BT. I swear, it took about 45 minutes. Maybe less but it was a looooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg ttiiiiiiimmmmmmeeeee.

Not worth it. Just deal with a little cable. And while no cables is nice, this is one area where the technology just isn't there yet.
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I certainly wouldn't suggest it. Buy a nice USB 2.0 or FireWire card reader and then you don't have to keep the camera close to your computer. I find the speed at which my 5 MP images transferred from a fast card over USB 2.0 to be patience-draining already. Thinking about using Bluetooth for that makes me think that it would be faster to draw them on the computer.
  9. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    thanks for your input. i realized that the requirement for bluetooth would force me to make a compromize on the camera. since the pics are the most important i went to best buy and bought the sony cybershot p150 with 7.2 megapixel. i think i'll have to deal with cables for the next three years or so.

well, now it's waiting for the next revision of the imac g5 20". i can't justify another expense this year. :(