Are there any human sounding computer voices for the Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Balli, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Balli macrumors 6502

The ones built into the operating system are terrible outdated. Are there any other computer voices that I can install on to my system? (Not including the ones from Cepstral, as they also sound rather outdated).

Thank you in advance for any help.
  2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've always assumed that it would take improvements in the Apple speech technology, not just new voice parameters sets, to make more-human voices, and that because the voices didn't sound human, Apple gave us all those "Novelty" choices, like Deranged and Trinoids. The Novelty choices, not intended to sound real, were no doubt easier, and were good to use for showing off what the technology could do and avoiding showing off what it couldn't.

So I'm curious, as you are, if there are better choices for Apple's speech these days.
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I wish that Apple would quietly retire their ancient TTS engine and license the Loquendo stuff. Their voices don't even sound mechanical much of the time.
  4. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    Some of the more recent voices (Agnes, Bruce, Victoria) sound better than the older 1993 PlainTalk voices...The latest addition, Vicki, sounds very human (though a bit too breathy) to me.
  5. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW! See this is what I am talking about! Loquendo's voices are AMAZING! Just check out this sound file:

You can hardly tell he's computerised. I hope... no I WISH Apple would implement something like this in Leopard.
  6. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, the voices are pretty real. You can tell here and there that they are fake but overall much better than the ones in Mac OS X.

Off topic but, are you in Waterloo Ontario?
  7. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

No, Waterloo London.
  8. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

This thing will compile on Linux, it is possible they could port it, but someone I doubt they will unless someone pays cash....

9. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2005
    Wow, thanks guys those links are help for my own personal quest to find humans :p :D ... I thought there was no hope :eek:
  10. lucius macrumors member

Jun 19, 2003
    Atherton, Manchester
    Do any of you use the computer voice thing on OS X? I tried it when I got my first OS X Powerbook but everyone else around me soon got bored of hearing me go "computer, get my mail" or whatever. All I could think about was Scotty in that Star Trek film where they go back in time to rescue Spock (can't remember which on it is).
  11. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2005
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    These are probably the best i've heard so far and for some reason i remember reading somewhere that Leopard will come with these pre-installed. I'll try and look up the link.
  12. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2004
    IMHO the AT&T voices are seriously impressive -- the best I've heard spoken by a non-human. The MacOS X voices sound the same as the old MacOS 8.something voices I first heard back in 1999. Those AT&T ones would absolutely make things like VoiceOver much more useful.
  13. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Cepstral makes some decent voices installable on OS X - not great, but a few of them are much better than the default OS X voices.
  14. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I tried Ceptral's voices. I agree that they are better than Apple\s, but still have far to go before they sound more realistic.