Are there any jailbreak tweaks that would slow down overall performance of the 4S?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stephen1108, Feb 11, 2012.

1. stephen1108, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

macrumors 6502a

I noticed the other day when I put my 4S (jailbroken) and my best friend's 4S (not jailbroken) side-by-side, her iPhone ran much quicker overall in the process of opening apps, closing them, opening the camera and whatnot. About two times as fast. Now I know the jailbreak itself isn't what would slow my phone down, but I am wondering which tweak I have installed that could be causing it.

This is what I have installed:
    Activator
    App Switcher Brightness
    Backgrounder
    biteSMS
    Black Keyboard
    CyDelete
    Cyntact
    disableEmergency
    iFile
    Internalizer
    Navigate from Maps
    NoNewsIsGoodNews
    Open in ProTube
    ProTube
    SBSettings
    Serious SBSettings HD
    SimpleDate for Notification Center
    SiriToggles
    SwitcherMod
    WeeFlashlight for Notification Center

anyone have any idea as to what can be causing the slowdown or can please help me out? :eek:

2. macrumors 68020

1. Remove 1 jb app
    2. Compare to friend's phone
    3. Repeat until app causing slowdown is found.

3. macrumors 6502

All those apps slightly do slow down the iPhone. I personally use FakeClockUp at 20% to make it feel faster.

4. macrumors 604

labman

disagree I do agree with TC25 though 1st of all if you were correct it would only slow it down when running. IE Protube but you use the YouTube app and I'll use protube and we will see how much slower it is.

5. macrumors 65816

kalirob99

Backgrounder would be my thought. But I wasn't even aware it was updated and out of the "beta" phase for 5.0. :confused:

6. macrumors member

Cyntact is your biggest lagging culprit. If you want an alternative use Faces Visual Photo Dialer - On the Appstore.

7. macrumors 6502

Out of the tweaks you have installed, I personally deleted SiriToggles and WeeFlashlight after they were giving me a lot of trouble. I really like the WeeFlashlight tweak, but I'll have to wait until there is a more stable release out. It's even caused my phone to get stuck and/or respring randomly. It also uses quite a bit of memory for a flashlight toggle, but I think this was somewhat rectified in the latest update. Cyntact is another huge memory hog and is not very stable imo.

Another one that slows things down is Winterboard, but I've never really been one to spend time themeing.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking it could be Backgrounder too, but if Backgrounder isn't being used, it shouldn't affect it right?

and it isn't Cyntact. I just uninstalled Cyntact, and even my mom's iPhone 4 (not jailbroken) is closing out of apps faster than my phone is. It's like I press the home button, it hangs for a little bit then closes out.

----------

I don't have Winterboard for that exact reason! I'm not one for theming and it also does have negative effects on the overall performance of the phone. Let me try deleting SiriToggles and see if that helps

9. macrumors regular

Tokes Green

Regarding Winterboard, I have been running it since 4.3.3 and my iPhone 4 runs just as fast as my housemates non-jailbroken 4.

I think it has to do with the amount of themes installed/in use, but I keep seeing people bring up Winterboard as a problem, and in my case and I'm sure plenty of others it works just fine.

10. macrumors 6502a

Is cyntact really that bad of a tweak? I didn't think it'd slow the phone down that much.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I realized exactly what the source of my problem was. Having the "triple-click home button" feature on to activate assistive touch. Every time I'd press the home button, even if it were only once, there would be a lag before it carried out the action I wanted. I realized this after taking my uncle's new 3GS and comparing it to my 4S, I realized that whenever I was pressing the home button, there was a delay his phone didn't have and then thought about what might be set up differently than his phone.

I also un-jailbroke my phone, and now I'm a little upset that I didn't figure that out before I went ahead and restored my phone, but at the end of the day I think I'll be fine without the jailbreak! It was fun while I had it :)

12. macrumors 6502a

Wow, nice catch. I've had activator set up where triple home click opens the camera and always thought my home button was just faulty. I removed the activator selection and now the button works great. Thanks for pointing that out!

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're welcome! But I didn't even use it in activator, I did it directly through the iPhone Settings app. I recommend others experiencing slow down turn that feature off and see if it helps!

14. macrumors 6502

On my 4s, I have Triple-click Home Button set in Settings -> Accessibility for "Toggle White on Black." It takes, maybe, an extra 1/2 second for apps to close when pressing the Home with this on. That's not a big deal to me. I use Activator with Swipe Right on the Status bar as my virtual Home button most of the time anyway.

15. macrumors 604

labman

backgrounder isn't supported by the original dev anymore and is open source the new version is not any good imo. not saying that's the problem, could be in your head as well.