Are there any laws in the UK...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jive, Jul 13, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

About at what times alcohol can be sold? I'm 18 tomorrow and figure I can wake up and just go buy some beer (probably Corona or Brahma) and begin my lifelong ambition of being a legal alcoholic. So yeah, will the shop be selling it when I wake up (around 10am) or is there a law that prohibits it before 12?

Cheers from your soon to be adult pal, jive.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think Scottish licensing allows it to be sold at any time except before 12pm on a Sunday. So since it's Friday, you should be OK...

There are a few local authorities who limit its sale late at night too - Strathclyde from memory - since it's illegal there to drink on the street.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Corona=barf

Tastes like poo. Very chemical flavor. I'd stay away from it. :)

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I don't think so – as far as I'm aware you can buy alcohol at any time, apart from on a Sunday. If there's a 24 hour supermarket near you then you could literally pop in and buy some booze at a minute past midnight on your 18th birthday. Mind, I will say that there are areas in which Scottish and English law differ greatly, so I don't know if the situation is different on your side of the border.

I'd go with a nicer beer than Corona or Brahma, though – both are refreshing drinks, don't get me wrong, but start as you mean to continue. ;)

Oh, and happy birthday for tomorrow! :)

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It absolutely tastes like poo if you drink it immediately after a different kind of beer, but if you start with Corona and stick with it, it's not bad.

But yes, I'd probably try to go with something a bit higher quality. It is your first (legal) time after all.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Having done some digging after I posted, the only thing he has to worry about is the Sunday morning problem. And that's being abolished in 2008... n

7. Lau Guest

I know most off-licences and small supermarkets in Scotland lock up their booze after 10pm, but I'm not sure what time they unlock them in the morning, having not quite got to the Tennents Super or Special Brew in the morning stage quite yet.

Tell you what jive, I'll pop out at 9am, purchase a lager if possible, and post evidence in this thread, and then when you get up at 10 you'll know if it's worth popping out. :p

8. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

9. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, if for some reason I can't bring myself to roll out of bed I have 10 cans of Tennants left over from TITP at the weekend...

And you have to do that - otherwise you'll ruin my bday :]

10. Lau Guest

Well, that would hardly be in the spirit of the experiment, would it?! :p

It's a deal. Assuming I get up at 9. ;) I've never had a beer for breakfast before. Although, as my last few days as a student come to an end, it's now or never...

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

All you have to do is buy it...you can wait to drink it until 11:00 or so if you want.

12. Lau Guest

And where, precisely, would the fun be in that?! :D

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Beer before breakfast isn't all that much fun...unless you're still up from the night before. ;)

14. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

If you are going to get Corona don't forget the lime!

15. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

In that case break out the Bloody Mary mix! or Irish Cream and Coffee.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I remember having Schlösser Alt (a Düsseldorf alt bier) at 7am one morning for breakfast while on board a ship full of crazy Rhein Fire fans en route to Köln while dressed as a pirate...

The first mouthful was tough... but after that it was all good!

17. satty macrumors 6502

I'm sure I had a pint of beer last Saturday at 8:30 am at the Walkabout in Putney :D

18. Lau Guest

I presume the fact that you're not entirely sure meant it was followed by several others...;) :D

19. satty macrumors 6502

It's not necessary to go into details here :rolleyes:

20. Lau Guest

Heh! Sounds like fun though. :)

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That was what I was thinking.

Don't think that I would choose that one as my first.

22. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Yessir you are correct! I can't believe no one mentioned that before. :rolleyes:

23. Lau Guest

Er, yeah. I kind of slept in...sorry jive. Did you go and get your beers?

And may I be the first (in this thread) to wish you happy birthday. May there be many happy years of beer purchasing and drinking in the morning ahead of you...;)

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Corona, that sells quite well at my cousins pub. always having to restock it. Becks seems to be the most popular, or was it Budweiser.

I was 18 2 years ago and I've yet to buy any alcohol :p glass of champagne on New Years and my birthday and I'm fine.

25. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can get beer almost any hour of the day as long as you do your research in advance. Long before the new 24-hour licensing laws it was possible to drink for 24 hours in Edinburgh (you did have to spend a couple of hours sometime around 4am in a resteraunt).

About 7 years ago I used to work in a pub that opened every morning apart from Sunday ay 7am. We used to have happy "hour" 7-11 every morning :eek: