Are there any legit work at home companies?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, May 2, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Nov 14, 2005
    Danville, VA
    I just got a letter in the mail that claimed I could make up to $3000/week for putting together 20 page books, seems too good to be true. My question is are there any legitament work at home buisness' like stuffing envelopes etc... that anyone knows of, or works for. I could use some extra money.. :)
  2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    That's all ********, don't do it. If that was true, everyone would do it.
  3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Nov 14, 2005
    Danville, VA
    Yeah I know 3000/week is rather crazy, just wondering if there are some legit ones out there that are a little more resonably, like make a few hunder a week or something
  4. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    I work from home full-time doing tech support for a software company that sells mechanical engineering CAD modeling software along with business collaboration software. I do the business collaboration side. The pay is decent--not $3K/week, but definitely more than a few hundred/week. I'm not sure what your qualifications are, but if you have experience in ME software (esp. Pro/ENGINEER) or networking/databases then you may be able to find something here.... Parametric Technology Corp ( PM me if you want further details.
  5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    it sounds like it's possible, except for the three grand part...that sounds excessive for that kind of work

work from home ideas:

telephone mom does this when at&t decided to make interpreters work from home and closed down their reach out world offices

tax tax person works from home and i am sure she makes three grand a week during certain months

lawyer...a lot of american law, dotting the i's and crossing the t's, is ported out to foreign countries and vice versa if there is a savings for the lawyer, client, or firm

on line where top reviewers who work full time could make two thousand a month or more

tutor for homeschooling...i know a lady who teaches home schooled students out of her house and she seems to do well

but those are the only at home business situations i have seen personally or know that exist...but i am skeptical of many other ideas i hear on tv infomercials and i am skeptical of multi level marketing for the average person (of course if you are a master salesperson, you can do ok)

but there is a lot of hidden industry from people working from their homes and it's no wonder when you see a lot of the prices for rent for retail spaces and professional offices

if our country dips further into a recession or fails to recover more quickly, then expect to see more people working from home either because they can't find a job, or their company can't afford the office space and has to make people, like my mom, work remotely from their home
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Basically, no. Not the ones you are thinking of.
    The thing is that most are scams,

you pay your "registration" or "instruction" fee or whatever they call it. Then what you get in return is 20 sheets of paper in an envelope with the instructions:

"To make $3000 a month, take an ad out in the paper or email ads that say 'Work at home and make $3000 per month assembling 20 page books' and get 100 suckers every month to send you $30 each - JUST LIKE I JUST DID TO YOU, SUCKER"

The rest of the time, where there is an actual product to be assembled, you have to buy the supplies up front (that's where they are really making their money) and then when you deliver the finished work, they will take every opportunity to not pay you, claming that your assembly is not up to standard, or that you delivered damaged goods, or that it wasn't received on time. The main thing is, they have no intention of selling the goods you assemble, they make their money off all the people who will write off their $50 or $100 investment in supplies as not worth pursuing.

But think about it a bit -- how in the world would farming out envelope stuffing be worth it to a company, when there are folders and sealing machines that will address fold, stuff and seal envelopes at the rate of 5,000 per hour?

The other thing that these outfits want to do is to get your address list of friends, family, contacts etc -- where they will pay you a commission for sales to your nearest and dearest. In that case you're not being paid for your work, you are being paid for exposing your friends to harrassment.

The last scam to warn you about is the drop-ship eBay / Auction scam. A "company" contacts you and says they have an abundance of -- Powerbook G4's, jewellery, cell phones, projection TVs, whatever, and they need a local representative to sell them. Just put ads on eBay and Craigslist, and when you sell the goods, the "company" will ship the goods directly to the happy customers. You don't have to handle the merchandise, and you get a 5%! 10%! heck even 20% cut of the sale just for placing the ads! Earning opportunities are unlimited!

So, you place the ads, sell some goods, get the money from the buyers, and send it to the "company" (less the 20% you get to keep, natch', 'cause you're no fool) After 3 - 4 weeks the buyers start screaming they haven't received their goods. Maybe the "company" has told you that there were some unavoidable small delays in their 'bulk shipment from Apple'. Meantime, PayPal has drained your bank account with chargebacks, and you have 15 small claims actions started against you. When you call the "company" to get your money back for refunds on cancelled orders, the number is out of service and the address turns out to have been a mailbox in a UPS store, now closed. Welcome to bankruptcy...

Here's the thing. All the home based businesses that people can do depend on a combination of
    1) a distinctive skill -- like software support, graphic design, prefessional writing, or a law degree - or a distinctive product that can be sold at a profit
    2) the ability to market the skill (or a product) to the people who are willing to pay for it.
    3) the willingnes to take the risk of failure, and to put in the effort to take the skill or product to the market.

There are no shortcuts. There are no earning programs for unskilled people to do non-complex and risk-free things in their own home and have someone guarantee them an income from it.
  7. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    I enjoy working from home. In sales. I deal mostly with pyramids and bridges.

Seriously, if you want to work from home, best chance is a computer-related job, from IT to web-design. Not that it is easy to come by, but it is possible.