Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starflyer 59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2002
Memphis, TN
I want to be able to create menus and then burn to a VCD. Any options? I know that iDVD will do it, but I do not have a superdrive. I am looking for an option that will burn to CD-R's

Thanks
Travis

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Your idea is flawed.

If you want to create a menu system on a disc to be able to be user navigatable then you are stuck with using DVD only. No other medium supports menu systems.

The only other way i can see to crete a CD based media presentation is to learn Director and produce an interactive CD-ROM, but i suspect you wanted the versatility of VCD.

As far as i know there are no other comparable products to MyDVD on the mac. Which is a pity because one thing i've always thought is that us mac users are sometimes somewhat limited when it comes down to choice of software compared to our windows using 'brothers'.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by boskie
If you want to create a menu system on a disc to be able to be user navigatable then you are stuck with using DVD only. No other medium supports menu systems.

Actually, if you burn the CD as a SVCD, you can create menus. I've seen quite alot of VCDs with menus, and they all say "DVD Version"... implying they used SVCDs.

But, unfortunately, I am not aware of any program that can make SVCD menus on the Mac, but if you use Toast you can make SVCDs.

irmongoose

trose

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
VCD

I never made one,but it seems like I remember a menu system when poking around in VCD Builder. Check Versiontracker for it.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
when I was using a windows computer I made plenty of vcd's and svcd's, and some of them were full of music videos which I did have menus for, so yes actually you could have menus on a vcd.

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Whoops my mistake, just never thought it was possible.

So is there a specific coding language to write the menu's in.

Do you still have to use mattes to indicate if a 'button' is highlighted or selected?

Is this available for the mac then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.