Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dava4444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Hi guys

first post so please be gentle :)

I have a single cpu 1.25 1gb MDD, I would like to jailbreak it, so i could install any hardware I liked, i have a flashed g5 6200gs, i get a Bong! but it won't show any picture, and i would like a wifi card and a good sound card without paying high prices :)

any help?

God Bless

Dava

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Jailbreaking is what people do to iphones and not Mac computers.

What would have been done to that video card is called flashing. The problem may be that you just need to cover a couple of the pins on the video card. I had to do that when I bought a Radeon 9600 for my former MDD that was pulled from a G5. Here is some info on the subject: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/10/74599-g5-graphics-card-g4-mdd.html

The best consumer level sound cards/controllers for mac are external. I have a Creative Xmod USB sound controller and love it. Sounds far better than the built in audio.

dava4444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
hi guys

thanks for the replies, but i have done all those things (and i know JB is for iphones, but wouldn't it be easy to JB PPC OSX??? i have no idea)

i did the pins when i first got the card, it would not BONG! otherwise. it is already flashed with an apple rom, so i have no clue why no picture, i even installed natit and nvinject in sudo, i have no other agp pc to get the string, i have been thinking i could go in 'blind' via Chicken VNC, but i only got that to work once, then didn't know what to do with the string/id. i haven't got a clue scooby doo, it was very hard work to get chickvnc working in this way, and i am exhausted just thinking about it.

thanks away :)

i just didn't want it to go in the bin, as next year as apple are totally cutting it (all PowerPC support) next year. C'est la Vie.

(shrugs)

Dava

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
(and i know JB is for iphones, but wouldn't it be easy to JB PPC OSX??? i have no idea)

What you don't know is what jailbreaking is. Jailbreaking is the process by which people put whatever software they wish onto an iPhone (applications that are disallowed by Apple and other OS modifications such as skinning). Not only would this be pointless on a desktop computer, it's utterly meaningless outside the iPhone world.

i just didn't want it to go in the bin, as next year as apple are totally cutting it (all PowerPC support) next year. C'est la Vie.

This is completely false. Where did you hear this? The last PowerPC machine fell out of AppleCare a year ago, but Apple supports all machines for seven years past the end of their date of manufacture.

dava4444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
What you don't know is what jailbreaking is. Jailbreaking is the process by which people put whatever software they wish onto an iPhone (applications that are disallowed by Apple and other OS modifications such as skinning). Not only would this be pointless on a desktop computer, it's utterly meaningless outside the iPhone world.

DUDE chill:cool:, isn't JailBreaking a reference to breaking the Eula, which installing non apple hardware does too, i was using a word that might not have been used that way before, i wasn't saying anything else, i used it in that way, in case anyone/dev had used it that way in the past.

This is completely false. Where did you hear this? The last PowerPC machine fell out of AppleCare a year ago, but Apple supports all machines for seven years past the end of their date of manufacture.

hinted here
http://theapplebay.com/apple-news/mac-os-x-tiger-due-for-extinction/

it was also in an article that i can't presently find :mad: @myself, something about steve jobs, adobe, long term, but okay i concede because i can't find it again :) peace.

Dava

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
There are all different kinds of ways to alter how a device or system performs and all kinds of terms to go along with them. The term jailbreak specifically means to alter how an iphone works. Nothing else.

All the different terms exists so you know what people are talking about without an explanation. The term jailbreak does not apply to mac computers at all.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
With regards to the original question:

We've already gone over what jailbreaking is and isn't, so no need to retread that ground. You want to run hardware in your MDD that isn't supported by OS X is what I gather, correct? The only way I know of to do this is by running a PPC version of Linux on your machine. This opens the gate for third party hardware substantially, but it leaves you without Apple software that you may be accustomed to.

This is one of the hardships that those with tower-based Macs face. They're only "fully upgradeable" to the extent that Apple supports the various third party hardware out there. No official support means no upgrade, usually.

Also, they can berate PPC all they like. I'm still going to continue to rescue PPC systems and do my work on them. :) G5s are sometimes a bit sketchy I'll admit, but the G4 based Macs are workhorses.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Also, they can berate PPC all they like. I'm still going to continue to rescue PPC systems and do my work on them. :) G5s are sometimes a bit sketchy I'll admit, but the G4 based Macs are workhorses.

Couldn't agree more!

lstone19

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
This is one of the hardships that those with tower-based Macs face. They're only "fully upgradeable" to the extent that Apple supports the various third party hardware out there. No official support means no upgrade, usually.

Uh, what? Although my G4 tower Macintosh is now retired, during its productive life, it had various third-party cards in its PCI slots, all of which came with their own drivers and had no native support from Apple.

The issue is not Apple supporting the third-party hardware, the issue is the vendor supporting OS X by providing drivers for their hardware (of course, you could always try your hand at writing your own device driver if the device vendor doesn't provide one :) ).

As Dava's original question, there is no need to "jailbreak" it because it's not "jailed". Just find devices to install whose vendor provides the needed support.

dava4444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Hi!

i was wanting to install a better gfx card i bought, that was flashed for a G5, i did the pins, i get a bong but no picture (I have a 6200gs), i would have really liked a better sound card too, as the normal one doesn't have many options, or any really, only vol. no eq, although the sound is the best I've heard with no config, I, on the odd occasion produce music, i like to have the security of knowing i have sound options :S (any already supported card sugg.s welcome, cheep please :) there's a crunch on :) )

thought it was a kext problem, also I have the original ATI AGP card in with the ATI kexts and ATIaccelerate, when I give up lol. So do the ATI kexts effect the installation of the GF6200gs??
i can't afford an apple card, and, honestly, in my heart object to paying £100 for a gfx card that costs £15.

yay getting my first MacBook tomorrow (eBay 13" 1.83Ghz white) woo hoo! had a PowerBook Pismo but after not being able to watch youtube, which i do often, i gave it to my friend, she is really happy :) NO/OFF but i didn't like the bronze keyboard anyway, but just a matter of personal taste.

peace

Dava

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
There is one thing about 6200 that i've forgotten: they're not recommended for MDD use (like 6800 series too). Most produces problems, and i think you're a victim of this. Sell it, unless you don't have other G4 machine.

Good options for MDD: radeon 9800 or 9700, GF 7800 (this is best, equally with next one), ATI FireGL X3 (this "the beast" but expensive). I mean flashed ones or PC to flashing yourself.
Other good option (from genuine Apple ones), if you can find it in satisfying price, is R9600 128 MB from G5 - only Dual DVI version, not ADC + DVI. After pin job it runs great in MDD.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
666sheep is right about the 6200 in the MDD. They normally only work in the Sawtooth through Quicksilver. All but the MDD.

The guide I followed to flash my 6200 even said it would not work in the MDD. It's a shame because the 6200 has a very good performance to power consumption ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.