Are there certain CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW discs to that do the best w/ macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amycishere, Mar 5, 2007.

1. amycishere macrumors 6502

Just wondered. I'm about to buy new ones for my macbook that is coming by fed ex soon.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Not that I'm aware of. I've used a number of various brands and stuff and I've never had an issue. As long as the discs you buy are supported by your burner (which should support DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD+R DL, I think) and you should be fine.

3. rmapple macrumors newbie

rmapple

www.nomorecoasters.com

It DOES matter what discs you use! www.nomorecoasters.com will give you a list with brands and their quality. Hope this helps :)

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The quality of the disc refers to its archival quality (how long before it experiences bit rot), not to how well a Mac will burn onto it.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd say "no and yes". As far as being Mac specific, no, it doesn't make any difference--the hardware is the same. The MacOS does have slightly better support for -R discs as opposed to +R, since Apple was heavily in the -R camp early on, but they both work fine now.

That said, the quality of the discs does make quite a bit of difference in terms of how long the discs last and how many coasters you get. After way too much reading on sites like the one linked above, I eventually went with Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. Other brands work, but those seem to be consistently good and I've thus far never gotten a coaster or had one conk out on me after storage.

Verbatim actually makes a line of "Medical" DVD-R (or used to) that were cherry-picked for extra quality, but they're quite spendy.

What I've always been bummed about was Kodak Gold CD-Rs--those used to be head and shoulders above every other brand of CD-R, so of course they stopped making them after a while.