are there ipod speakers with wireless connection?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by andiwm2003, Nov 2, 2004.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Hi,

i'm proud owner of a ipod and i want to buy ipod speakers. most of them recharge you ipod and even allow to sync your ipod if you connect them to your computer. is there a system that allows to sync wirelessly? by airport express it should be possible. i want the speakers in the kitchen or the living room. so there is no cable to the computer. and i want to sync often because i use ical and adressbook with the ipod.
    in fact i couldn't find any wireless gadget for the ipod. why?

thanks, andi

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

wireless is many, many times slower than a wired connection. airport express maxes out at 54 mbps, firewire is 400 mbps and USb 2 is 480 mbps. Wireless synching isn't really that cool from that perspective.

Beyond that, I don't think iTunes allows for synching in that way. Wireless, like airport express, is a networking protocal, which is not what is being used by the iPod and iTunes to synch. its totally different technology for very different purposes. That's not to say it couldn't be done, but I just don't think the capability is there, either in the iPod or the software. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I have.